Thursday, December 28, 2006

Looking forward to a fresh start

Sometimes I feel like my life is just a series of short stories. Little events that all add up to my experiences as I muddle through this world as best I can, making mistakes and learning lessons along the way. If you read my blog regularly, you know that a few of these stories have become cliffhangers - and that each new chapter seems to add more drama and suspense. Sharing these stories in this blog has really helped to put things into perspective for me.

As 2006 ends, I look back on a year that I can definitely say was the most eventful of my life thus far. Upon reflection, there are dozens of short stories that have written themselves in the last twelve months...


"The Drama of Having a Bank Acount" (a tale in 15 parts that will probably have many more in 2007)
"The Trials and Tribulations of a Student Teacher"
"Turning 27: God I'm OLD!"
"The Grocery Store Wizards"
"Family Pictures"
"Saying Goodbye to a Dear Friend"
"The Uhaul Fiasco"
"Can I Please Bring my Kitty to London?"
"Pearls of Wisdom from the Campfire Gang"
"The Countdown"
"The Long Goodbye"
"Moving to London"
"Why I'll Never Drive in England"
"Drinking in the Streets"
"If I Close My Eyes and Really Concentrate I can Pretend I'm Sitting on the Dock at My Lake"
"The Commute"
"What's Spotted Dick Anyway?"
"Why I Love My Blog"
"Why I Love the Internet" (A new part of this story is pending the completion of the World Junior Hockey Tournament that I'm actually able to WATCH via tsn.ca. VERY happy about this! Alternate title: "They Said They Didn't Give a Fuck About Hockey")
"Waiting, Waiting and more Waiting"
"Why I Don't Love the Government"
"Seeking Nature and Green Space in a City with 7 Million People"
"Christmas at Craven Hill Gardens"
"The Bank of Mom & Dad: a Tale of Generosity and Patience" (again, many many parts to this tale - hopefully I can end with "The Day I Won the Lottery (for real) and Gave My Parents 10 Million Dollars")


Coming soon: "New Year's Eve: with 200,000 people at Trafalgar Square"
This one should be very interesting... I really don't know what to expect - other than that there will be fireworks from the London Eye, and that everybody will be dead silent to hear Big Ben chime the midnight hour's arrival. Will likely involve very sore feet, drinking on street corners with strangers, and perhaps a whole chapter on the Night Bus People (anybody who's visited London will be able to tell you about the dodgy folk who make use of the 24 hour bus routes through the city) who will probably be even more bizarre on New Year's Eve. We were going to try and get to the Comedy Cafe (fabulous place) with Eve but just can't afford the 50 pound tickets plus alcohol. I'm disappointed but there isn't anything we can do - so we're making the most of things by opting to spend very little money and hang out with 200,000 people from all around the world. Should be fun.

There will be many new chapters and stories in 2007. I hope that I can write "The Day Things Finally Went Our Way" very soon...

2 Comments:

  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    I, too, hope that you can write that story, but you hang in there -Good things are bound to happen for you sooner than later. I hope you have a great time this new years eve, and I can't wait to read all about it! :) Take Care and the best of luck to you and Jeremy in the coming year! :)

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Thanks Lyndsay - same to you :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home