Saturday, December 16, 2006

Week in Review

I've been meaning to post for the last three days about everything that's going on, but my days have been so busy that I just haven't had the energy to write anything decent.

On Wednesday night, I finally went to see my very first musical in London, Dancing in the Streets.





I knew that it would be a good show, but I had no idea just how much I would enjoy it... Having grown up with parents who are in love with music from the 50s and 60s, and insisted on playing mix tapes of their favourite Oldies on every car trip we've ever taken (which drove my brother and I crazy), I pretty much know all of the words to all of those old songs.



Now that I'm older, I have developed an appreciation for this kind of music (no longer calling them Moldy Oldies to bug my parents) and now enjoy listening to the upbeat lyrics and sound.

I had no idea that Dancing in the Street was more of a musical review than anything else, or that the actors were going to impersonate greats like Gladys Knight, the Temptations, The Four Tops, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, and Stevie Wonder. It was like getting to see them as they would have been all of those decades ago. A fantastic show - I really hope my parents will get to see it when they come to visit.


Using LastMinute.com, my friend Eve found third row center seats. I'm totally using them again!


For the encore, they performed this Motown version of White Christmas - which made me cry. It's going to be a first not getting any snow at all...



The lack of snow hasn't hurt the excitement of the children in this country though. My students have been bouncing off of the walls all week in anticipation of Father Christmas coming to visit them in "ONLY TEN DAYS!!" Next week is our class Christmas party, so I need to go out and get cards for all of them, as well as a class gift (paid for by the school, but the teachers pick it out) and snacks for Tuesday. It's amazing how many things a teacher needs to do to prepare for this holiday - especially with a third of the class being Muslim. I'm trying to find non-Christmas cards for them so they know that I understand that they don't believe in Christmas and so they still get something special from me.

Last week, some of the children went to visit Father Christmas (who was actually the football coach, a great guy that everybody loves to bits) and came dancing back into the classroom with bags of toys and shouts of excitement. I felt so bad for the students who didn't get toys of their own, and made a promise to make sure that every child in my class has a great time next week and feels like they are getting something special even if they don't celebrate this holiday.


And finally...
Jeremy and I have come to the decision that regardless of what happens with his visa, I'll stay here until July for sure. It just seems like the responsible thing to do, and the school really needs me to make a commitment. I'll let them know about next year once things are sorted out. And so I look forward to a new year in this incredible city with hopes that things will work out, and that somebody soon I'll get to see the lights of Paris.

Now I'm off to get my cards for the kids and find something yummy to make for dinner. Hope you all have a great weekend and those of you braving the shopping malls find exactly what you're looking for.

Until tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home