Thursday, December 07, 2006

a Belated Birthday greeting

... I had plans to write this yesterday, but various circumstances kept me from my computer last evening. Not a good excuse, but that's what I've got...


In the last post, we flashed back to the mid 1990's, during which I began Grade 9 at Marymount College in Sudbury. I was so excited to start Grade 9 so I could make a bunch of new friends and have the Great High School Experience.

Incredibly, I did. I was lucky enough to make friends with a fantastic group of people, some of whom I'm still friends with today.

The first friend I made at Marymount (or MMC as we called it) was Laura Mac-not-McDonald.

Math Class Laura - "Hey - do you have a pencil?" Me (thinking how in the hell somebody goes to math class without a pencil) - "um ya"


That is all I remember about us becoming friends. Just like with Kim (again, see previous post), it just seemed like we'd always been friends...

During high school, we:

* were as close as sisters (and fought like them too!)
* went on band trips to Toronto, Philadelphia, New York City, Calgary, and Montreal
* tried our best to find alcohol during each of the aforementioned trips
* watched "When Harry Met Sally" at least 100 times (and can probably still recite the words along with the movie)
* shared a love of Harry Connick Junior, the Barenaked Ladies, Swing / Jazz music, Moxy Fruvous, and the Tragically Hip (and performed a live acapella version of "King of Spain" on the streets of Philadelphia - complete with dancing)
* would spend hours "stirring out the lumps" in uncooked brownie batter (in other words - eating uncooked brownie batter)
* went through crushes and heartbreaks and boyfriends - all of that high school drama
* suffered through hours of tutelage under the Worse French Teacher Ever
* spent hours getting read for school dances and Semi-Formals - getting ready with all of our friends for the Semi-formal dances is one of my favourite high school memories. We used to all get together at this one girl's house, whose mother had provided all sorts of great food and drinks. Our parents would all show up for pictures - and a visit after we left for the dance.


* I could go on, but I don't want to shatter the illusion my parents have of their innocent daughter (heehee Mom - just kidding)


As I've said many times - I'm blessed with a wonderful group of friends and family. It's not very often that a person makes a friend for life, and I'm glad to count Laura as somebody I'll be gossiping and laughing with for many years to come.

So join me in wishing her a Happy Belated Birthday - and check out her blog too!


4 Comments:

  • At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday Laura. You and Melinda really were like sisters and at times I did introduce you as daughter. Sure be nice to see you again someday. Hope your parents are well and say hi to them for us. Melinda is that a recent picture or high school? I can't tell as you all still look the same. Love and God Bless. MOM

     
  • At 1:51 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    we still all look the same?!!

    Wow girls - don't you love that we can still look 18?! (I do still get carded sometimes when buying wine or liquor here)

    That picture is from last year - a visit to Kim & Steve's place in London.

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    Happy Birthday, Laura! Any friend of M's is better off not being a friend of mine!

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Thanks Mel!!
    I can't believe how lucky I have been to meet such amaziing people in my life. I count you as one of perhaps 3 or 4 people that I will always want to be in touch with because you had such an enormous impact on my life and you are a really true friend. We really were as close as sisters... scratch that, we were closer if that's possible. Most of the best memories that I have of growing up (aka high school) are with you and Kim... by the way in math class I was probably in need of something to doodle with or write song lyrics with.. just to clear that up for everybody.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home