Sunday, November 26, 2006

Fresh Raspberries on the 28th Floor


I couldn't decide if I was going to haul my butt out of bed to get ready for an afternoon drink at the Windows bar near Hyde Park with Eve and her friend Michaela. Still coughing a lot from this horrible cold (but feeling a lot better after a restful weekend), I decided to see how I'd feel after a shower.

Still coughing but determined not to cancel, I got dressed, did my hair, and managed to get myself ready just in time for the knock on my door.

The London Hilton on Park Lane hotel is only about a half hour walk from where we live, but it's been really rainy lately (big surprise there), so we took a bus to Marble Arch and walked past car dealerships for Corvette, Cadillac, and BMW (did I mention this area is super posh?) until we arrived at the hotel.

The Windows Bar (I keep calling it the Sky Bar) is on the top floor of the hotel and has views of the city that are nothing short of incredible. We watched the sunset over the city, taking lots of pictures and trying to spot places we knew. You could see Green Park, Hyde Park, Harrods, the Thames River, the London Eye, some of the bridges (I couldn't tell which ones), and a mix of new and old buildings as far as the eye can see.

I've been to the top of the CN Tower and seen breathtaking views of Toronto several times, but nothing prepared me for how amazing London looks from the air. When we flew into the city, I was spellbound by what we were seeing, but the stress and exhaustion I was feeling didn't give me the chance to really enjoy the view.

This time I was dressed up and feeling very excited to get a view of "my neighbourhood" from the sky.

I wasn't disappointed.



We ordered virgin drinks because the ones with alcohol were ridiculously expensive (started at around 13.50), asking for cocktails with orange and raspberry in them. They were served in these really nice glasses, with fresh raspberries crushed into the drink and two on a spear at the top of each glass. Probably the best / most expensive raspberries I'll ever eat.

Now I'm back on the ground in my cozy little flat, trying to decide what to make for dinner. While my choices may not be like the pricey entrees listed in the restaurant we were just in, sometimes I'm just as happy to have soup and a BLT. And a carton of juice for 79p.

Until tomorrow...

1 Comments:

  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Wow what a beautiful view!! And I must agree that sometimes, fancy isn't always better. You could pay $30 for a nice meal out or $4.50 for a burger and fries that tastes a million times better! hehe, Sounds like a fun time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home