Tuesday, November 21, 2006

so much for a nice 200th post

Authors note: the first link contains disturbing and extremely disgusting language. Click with caution (no little ones around).


Well I HAVE to comment on this.

If you've just clicked on the link, you'll know why I'm so shocked. I have been a longtime fan of Seinfeld and always like Kramer the best - his character was by far the most entertaining and I always admired Michael Richards for his comedic abilities.

You probably already all know this piece of news - in fact, it was in the paper this morning. Something totally different about watching a well-loved (well used to be anyway) comedian becoming a racist asshole makes the story even sadder.

Here's the CNN story about this, with an interview from an audience member.

Some people say that it wasn't a big deal because black people use that horrible word all the time. Okay fine - but it doesn't mean they're right to use it either. The remarks that were made in addition to this are even worse (something I didn't think was possible).

Here is his apology on Letterman.

Take his comments as you will. I don't feel comfortable posting about this any further because I will rant for 2000 words about how much I hate intolerance and racism and how people are people no matter what their damn skin colour is. It also brought back memories of a horrible situation that happened when I was living in London, Ontario (that I won't get into out of respect for the only person who has a right to share it).

I can only hope that the little kids I see every day are not dealing with this.

Realistically though, I'm sure some of them probably are...


Since they literally hold our future in their hands, I will see to it that every child that comes through my classroom will never, ever learn to speak that way, or accept it if somebody says anything of that nature to them.

Be good to each other...


3 Comments:

  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Because I have always been a huge Seinfeld Fan myself, I refuse to watch that footage for as long as humanly possible. I had a feeling that the link you posted would bring me to the video clip of him spazzing out so I was sure to read ahead and as it turned out, I was right. I agree with everything you said, but because I don't want to be further disappointed in him, I choose not to watch the tape. Sorry, but I think you understand what I mean. He's still a dink for freaking out (from what I heard) but I'll leave it at that and assume he had a REALLY REALLY horrible day and it made him snap. Who knew I had so much to SAY on this.. wow! I'm done :P

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    How much do you want to bet that the number of Seinfeld shows in syndication start to decline. Jerry must be pissed as his income is going to decline as a result of this. Although no one seems to be upset that the crowd members were calling him a cracker. On CNN etc, they were blanking out all of the other bad words but calling him that... that's apparently okay... not that it's an excuse for him because he should be used to hecklers but why is half okay and the other not... they should both be unacceptable.

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said…

    I wouldn't stop watching a show just bc what one of the actors said.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home