Sunday, November 12, 2006

Who would have thought...

that in some places around the world, people are turning to blogs as their only way to express themselves without being arrested.

They call it tadween, which means "to chronicle".

Men and women in Saudi Arabia and other similar countries are turning to the anonymity of the blog so they can share themselves with the world.

Unfortunately, the crackdown has begun already, with several blogs being blocked and some people being arrested for writing.

Fascinating article. Thinking about women writing sexual or political content in their blogs (or even having one in the first place) is something I've taken for granted. Just like being able to vote, drive a car, and consider myself equal to everybody else on this planet. An all-girls high school left me with a strong sense of self and confidence in my own abilities that I probably would have developed eventually, but perhaps not quite as well. It saddens me to think that there are places where women don't believe that they are equal to men (and where that thinking is encouraged).

Even worse is the fact that some people are not allowed to express their opinions for fear of winding up in jail. I hope the brave bloggers in those parts of the country keep safe and may continue sharing what they would like to say.


To any blogger who writes because it makes them a little bit more free - I am in awe of you and hope to never again take my own rights for granted.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Its amazing how different this world is... from one end to the other is like a whole other planet!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home