Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Proof that British food is dodgy after all...

I took this picture on Walthamstow High Street a little while ago. I had plans to get some nice pictures of the tents set up and all of the people walking around, looking for bargains on food, clothes, electronics, shoes (lots and lots of shoes) - pretty much anything you can think of.

Then I saw him.

An ordinary looking man, serving a few customers, who also looked normal. Until they moved out of the way and I got to see what it was that they were buying...

I am a huge fan of seafood and have been known to eat entire shrimp rings, but I draw the line at this:




I'm not sure what I find more offensive: The concept of jellied eels or the fact that a bowl of them costs 30 pounds (that's over $60 to people in North America).

And they think poutine sounds disgusting. I don't know about you, but I'll take fries with cheese and gravy over jellied sea creatures anyday.

eww.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Yeah... I wouldn't be too sure about the eels either.. but then again after I tried haggis and blood pudding and actually liked them... I thought "I should probably try things before saying that they're gross"... until I read this. Don't think I'd be trying them any time soon ;)

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    I think I just threw up in my mouth.

    Yupp, sure did

    ha

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    So incredibly disgusting!! It really doesn't help that it appears to come in the form of "street meat". I wouldn't even try something like that in a fancy restaurant!

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger Alejandra Ramos said…

    Oh man...that's disgusting. It's probably one of those things where they can't sell it so they slap a killer pricetag on it in the attempt to make it seem like a delicacy. Or maybe not. Maybe the Brits just really have very bad taste in food...

     
  • At 1:30 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    yep jellied seafood street meat.

    ugh.

    Maybe I should do a post that discusses other wierd foods we've seen people buying here. They're not gross, just very strange...

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Suldog said…

    My favorite Brit food is "Spotted Dick". I'm not even sure what it is, but I know I don't want it in my mouth. Runner-up is "Toad In The Hole".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home