Monday, October 30, 2006

a tribute to those who came home

I could fill pages with commentary about the war in Iraq, but avoid the topic because some things are too inflammatory for open discussions. And so I keep my opinions to myself...

I have a friend (old work colleague) whose husband went to Afghanistan with the Canadian military. This man coincidentally was an old teacher of Jeremy's (small world), so the news of his upcoming tour of duty was difficult for both of us. I watched my friend go through a LOT of different emotions during his time away - I can't imagine what it would be like to live your life knowing that the person you're married to is in a dangerous place on the other side of the world, and that if something happened to him, she could find out on the 6 o'clock news. Luckily, he came home safely.

I remember her mentioning the difficulty he had after returning to Canada, and resuming his old life as a working husband and father of three.

Until this morning, I never really thought about just how difficult it was for him.

Please read this article - it's very powerful and made me appreciate the sacrifices that the armed forces give each day (regardless of the endless debates about the war back home).



I'll be back later with something a little more upbeat...

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home