Thursday, November 09, 2006

You might find this post anticlimatic...

Okay, as promised, I'll tell the story about the pockets.

When I got to school, they were empty.

Throughout the day, I pick up markers, little objects kids are playing with when they should be paying attention, pieces of paper, and assorted other things. All of these things wind up in my pockets, so I spend 10 minutes looking for "that marker" when it was happily sitting in my left pocket.

(wow, I don't think I've ever said pockets this often at one time before. pockets pockets pockets pockets pockets. ha. Now it doesn't look like a word anymore)

Yesterday after school, I put my hand in my pocket and felt something jab my finger. Upon emptying out the pockets (and cursing quietly about my finger), I found


can you see it?

What I found was a little pushpin. Okay, not a big deal right?

The problem is, I did not pick up a pin at anytime during the day, nor did anybody give me one. Combine this with the facts that I have never even seen pins like that in our classroom and also that I don't take that sweater off so nobody could put it into my pocket without me noticing, and now you can imagine my confusion.

Sorry that wasn't more interesting. I was trying to make the point that spending a blog post on what's in my pockets would be a more engaging topic than Britney and Kevin, but even i must admit that I was wrong.


Here's something a little better:

At the end of the day, we went to visit Eve for a little while. She's going to Germany and wanted to spend some time with us before she leaves on Friday, since Jeremy will be leaving on Tuesday for 5 weeks. She had brought home a couple of bottles of nice red wine and a raspberry trifle (sooo yummy). While we were talking, she pulled out a bag of something called Goji berries. Apparently this is the new trend here in London amoung the young businesspeople set, along with daily visits to the gym, no-carb diets, and vegetable juice (okay, I'm widely generalizing here, but the description was too good to resist).

After teasing her about falling into the trend, she started rhyming off the good things that these berries evidently do:
* help prevent cancer
* have more vitamin C than an orange
* help to boost the immune system
* raise your libido and prevents morning sickness
* have a bunch of different vitamins and minerals

Turns out, she missed a LOT of the other things:

The Chinese Wonder Fruit
These Goji berries are wild crafted from the hills in the Ningxia Region of Ch
ina. Also known as Wolfberries, Lycium berries and Gou Ji Zi berries, they have been used in Traditional Mongolian, Tibetan and Chinese medicine for centuries to nourish yin and improve the functioning of the 'water element'.

A handful a day is said to provide the energy to overcome difficult obstacles in healing, promote cheerfulness and brighten the spirit.

They have strong antioxidant, anti-ageing and anticancer properties and are used to boos
t the immune system, improve hearing, eye-sight, and liver function, maintain healthy blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels, strengthen bones and tendons, burn fat, build muscle, increase libido, enhance fertility and reduce morning sickness.

They are a delicious, gentle and soothing tonic fruit that is loaded with available
vitality.

Goji berries have the highest content of carotenoids, including beta carotene among all known foods on earth, and can contain up to 500 times more vitamin C than oranges. The fruits also have significant amounts of vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6 and vitamin E. They are rich in amino acids an
d trace minerals such as zinc, iron, copper, calcium, germanium, selenium and phosphorous.

This berry is now being used in clinical settings for a number of common maladies including the treatment of early-onset diabetes, tuberculosis, dizziness, blurred vision, bone marrow deficiency, and digestive disorders.


When she gave us a couple to try, I noticed that they looked like raisins, tasted kinda like dried cranberries, and had an aftertaste that Jeremy describes as being "like when you're a kid and you're sucking on popsicle sticks". The best part about his description is its accuracy - the aftertaste is exactly like a soggy popsicle stick.

If you clicked on the link above and read through to the end, you would have read some comments about this whole phenomenon, which are pretty funny if you consider that one article praises them, and the other one completely discredits any claims that they are "wonder berries".

I'm thinking about trying them for a week myself and seeing what happens.


Incidentally, I do have a bit of a real life cliffhanger happening with regards to my career. I can't talk about it quite yet, but there are some things coming up in the very near future that I will need to make some decisions about. Going in a certain direction will completely change things for me. Not sure if for the better or for the worse (that's why I'm still thinking).

I'll share as soon as I can.



Here's a picture of Banjo Man playing "Heartbreak Hotel" from Elvis. (I know that doesn't give back the time you spent reading about my pockets, but hopefully you'll find the idea of a man singing and playing a banjo while people in business suits rush past him importantly as amusing as I do)


Update on yesterday's silly post about a silly girl: aforementioned silly girl was caught looking "very smiley" as she went into Sony studios in NYC today (as reported in the London Metro). I totally called it.

I need to go pat myself on the back now.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    Melinda:

    What station is banjo man playing at? It's been many years since I rode the Underground and I'm just wondering if it's a station I have been to, but just modernized.

    Thanks!

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    That station is Oxford Circus, where the Central Line connects to the Victoria and BakerLoo Lines.

    wow I sound like a real Londoner ;)

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    I really enjoyed the story about the pockets - it's pointless like everything that I write about. I suppose that since you thought your pocket story was bad, you wouldn't wanna hear about the rock I kicked all the way home the other day then would you! :P I want a GOJI BERRY!

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    I hate surprises Mel... I'm way too nosey for that.
    The Goji berry thing is funny I must have seen a 20/20 thing or something on it.
    I wonder what the juice tastes like.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home