Thursday, November 30, 2006

and so Ends NaBloPoMo

hmmm...

I wish I had an epic post for the end of a month of daily blogging, but events of late haven't exactly been good for my creativity.

At the start of this month, I hoped that this personal challenge would be good for me and help me to become a better writer...

Not sure about the writing part, but it was fun trying to think of interesting things to talk about. There were a lot of ideas I'd had for blog posts this month that never did get written.

This month I realized just how much I enjoy blogging. When I started writing in this almost a year ago, I was just joining in with some of my friends, who had just started their own blogs. It was like the summer of '94 when a few of my friends and I started writing in this communal journal that I'd completely covered in pennies. We wrote in that book all summer and loved reading what everybody else was writing: ramblings filled with teenage angst, lists of favourite songs, and silly stories about stuff we used to do. I still have that book. It's great looking back at all of us (after 14 years of friendship), remembering the people we were back then.

Now there are bloggers who I've never met but genuinely feel like I know - and would invite out for a drink at the pub anytime. The support that people give each other through their blogs always amazes me. When Magazine Man lost his dog Blaze (if you don't know the story, click here), dozens (or maybe hundreds) of people were frantically checking his blog several times a day to see if there was another post - or a happy ending. I had tears in my eyes more than once for this family and their beloved pet who were going through such a terrible time - a family I've never met and likely never will. Each post was followed sometimes 40 comments, all offering prayers and support, or offers of help. I was amazed at how many people took the time to wish them well. Having recieved a lot of incredibly sweet and supportive comments from the readers of my blog, I feel the same comfort that I'm sure their family did.

My writing is still surprising me. Some days I know exactly what I want to write, and can toss out a 1000 word post in no time at all, and other days it take hours to get it right. I've learned that my work ethic does extend to this blog, even through hard times and horrible colds.

And now, one question remains:

Will I post tomorrow?



I'm really not sure...

But I'll probably be back the next day. Good habits are hard to break ;)

4 Comments:

  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Well I've really enjoyed reading your posts every day Mel. I really look forward to them. It's funny how by doing this all of a sudden it feels as though all of us haven't really been apart all that long. It's kind of like we're still passing notes to each other in class (or at work) 14-15 years later. I'm so happy that we've all started keeping blogs... although granted I should probably post a little more often.

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Mel it's been a pleasure reading your posts and as I've said before, I think you have a great talent for writing. I on the other hand, just enjoy blabbing to anyone who will listen - we all know Dan's not much of a listener *rolls eyes*. So to you and the rest of my "fans" lol, who take the time to actually READ what I have to rant about, I say thankyou for you've all made this year an easier one for me. I hope that you continue blogging for a long time to come, and I will too! I won't be blogging every day now this this NaBloPoMo is over, because I really should be studying! lol Anywho, it's been a great bloggin' month!

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    M:

    Keep this just between us, OK? :-)

    You've seen the links at my place. I mentally - though not physically, except in the case Of Magazine Man, who is, indeed, a special case - divide them into two categories:

    1) Good Writers Who Also Happen To Be Folks I Really Like

    2) Nice People Who May Not Be Particularly Good Writers, But Who I Like Anyway. So Why Not Give Them A Link?

    You fit into the first category.

    (Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone or they'll all be trying to figure out which they are.)

     
  • At 1:36 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Laura - I know exactly what you mean! It's pretty cool that we've known each other for as long as we have, and that we're still sharing our stories. Wonder how we'll be doing that in another 15 years...

    Lyndsay - I'm really glad that we participated in this activity - I've gotten to know you better than I ever expected to and really do count you amoung my BloggerFriends. Dan sure was lucky to find you :)

    Sully - you're in the first category for me too. Thanks for all of the nice comments on my blog - and for sharing such great stories on yours.

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home