Sunday, January 14, 2007

The News

Yesterday, I alluded to finally finding out some things about Jeremy's visa situation.

A few days ago, he recieved a call from the department in charge of issuing working holiday visas - the people who potentially could have taken until March 7th to give us a response.

The good news?

He won his appeal and will be issued the long-sought-after visa.

Unfortunately, that's not all...

The bad news is that he has to go back to Canada to recieve it. Apparently he shouldn't have even been allowed back into the UK while his visa was under appeal. I find that hilarious because nobody from the visa department told him this even when he specifically said that he'd be returning to England on December 20th. Not one person in the three weeks of waiting (when he called them every day) told him that he would not be allowed to recieve his visa from here. To top this off, nobody at the border said a word to him either. No questions asked - welcome back to England.

If we had been given any indication that he would have to return to Canada to get this, he would have stayed home and I would have gone home for Christmas. And saved hundreds of dollars that we don't have.

I had worked up a good rant about all of this, but to be honest, I'd just be repeating this:

What a stupid, stupid situation.

Plus, I'm not that angry anymore. Oh, I'm sure I'll get pissed off when he has to fork over more money for a plane ticket so he can mail his passport and boarding pass (to prove he's in the country) and get it stamped and sent back to him, but for right now all I'm going to focus on is the fact that after the next couple of months we'll both be working and making money. So our travels can begin, we'll be able to go grocery shopping without counting every single pound we spend, and I can pay off some of my debts.

This time, he'll probably only be gone for 3 weeks, and will be able to bring some things from home that we needed but didn't want to haul over here if we weren't going to stay.

Part of me is a little disappointed that we're not moving back home this summer, but I know that this opportunity will not come again. So we'll save money to visit home (maybe this summer) and start planning our trips around this beautiful part of the world.


So hopefully by the time my birthday rolls around in March, all of this will be behind us...

4 Comments:

  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    That's great and that sucks... you know what I mean. I really hope you make it home this summer.
    It would be so nice to see you again.

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Nothing is ever perfect but I am glad to hear that you and Jeremy can finally start doing what you's intended to do - congrats!

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Suldog said…

    Well, take the good as a cause for celebration and take the bad as... a cause for celebration. Celebrating makes everything better!

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    You're totally right Sully - we celebrated our asses off this weekend and I'm still in a little bit of pain ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home