Sunday, March 02, 2008

Roadhouse Blues

Today Jeff Healey died.

For those of you who've never heard of him (I have no idea what his popularity was like outside of Canada), Jeff Healey was a Canadian musician who lost his eyesight as a baby due to cancer in his eyes. He taught himself how to play the guitar, clearly influenced by greats like BB King, Clapton, and Hendrix, and was an incredible performer who played with his guitar on his lap.

Much like Stevie Wonder's famous head movements while he sings, Jeff Healey's strange way of holding his guitar became a signature for his fans.

It's sad that he didn't become more famous - he deserved it. Here's a video of him performing "Roadhouse Blues", a classic and one of my all-time favourites:



He should have had many more years (he was 41 years old with a wife and children), but he left behind some incredible music - which I know will live on.



Rest in peace, Jeff. I hope you and Hendrix are jamming together already...

1 Comments:

  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Suldog said…

    I'm sorry to say I have never heard of him before now. Fine guitar player. I'll have to check out his recordings.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home