Wednesday, August 06, 2008

July

It's been a pretty cool summer so far.


On the 6th of July, my grandmother (mom's mom) turned 94 years old. Here she is looking at a photograph of herself on her wedding day 70 years ago. (My grandparents' anniversary is her birthday)


Oliver was born on July 8th, adding to the list of wonderful things in this world.


Summertime always means trips to see our families. Here are some of Jeremy's family (I'm marrying into a good-looking family huh):


My brother & I


Believe it or not, the lady standing on her head will be celebrating her 78th birthday this month. Pretty amazing huh!

My mom and her "grand-dog"


My brother got a dog a little while ago. Her name is Lola and everybody wanted to keep her. (Here she is trying to get the last bit of my Spanish coffee. On a spoon. Then on the glass.)

Some baby robins just about to learn to fly - poor things were pretty crowded in that nest, including a fourth one who basically was stuck at the bottom. He didn't leave the nest until a full day after his siblings were gone.


There have been some pretty impressive sunsets so far this summer.




The silver lining





And the view from the boat has been amazing as always...





When I got home from the lake, the first thing I did was check the garden.



In less than a month, the new school year begins. Along with my career. As excited as I am to start teaching, I intend to enjoy August just as much as July.

Back soon! (for real this time)

10 Comments:

  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger Jaimi said…

    Is your watermelon plant huge?? All of a sudden mine grew three feet vines going in crazy directions! I wonder when the actual melons will grow?

    It's nice to hear you're having a great summer Mel. Mine hasn't been to bad either. I'm on this big kabob craze now that we've finally got a BBQ.

    I cant wait to hear about your fist day at the new job!

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    My watermelon plants did the same thing, but the canteloupe grew even bigger! After being away for the long weekend, we couldn't believe how much the vines had grown.

    Ditto on the shish kabobs - I'm totally addicted too. Lately it's been all about the BBQ (which is just how it should be in the summertime)

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    That "Spanish Coffee" shot could DEFINITELY be sold for an ad. Great framing.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Thanks Sully! I was on my first one, which explains the why it isn't all blurry ;)

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Hilary said…

    Great shots, Melinda! I love that Spanish Coffee shot, and am totally impressed with that headstand. She makes aging look wonderful! Gorgeous flowers from that garden of yours too.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Twinks. said…

    I love the pictures!!

    The Spanish Coffee shot was great, but I especially love the ones of your family. I love pictures like that. It gives them a sense of realness.

    But that one with the "silver lining" is AMAZING! Lol, I love it.

    Keep taking pictures. I'd love to see more of your work. ^.^

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was an *excellent* photo essay - it really captured for me what your summer has been like! (and I'm totally jealous! LOL!)

    Thim :)

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Hilary - I agree completely about Pat. She's actually still teaching swimming and leads a very active lifestyle. It's pretty inspiring just to be around her.

    Twinkie - thanks for the compliment. I'm going to try and post photos more regularly. Luckily I'll have 10 days worth of camp pictures from Northern Ontario to put up very soon!

    Thim - I'd love to see some pics from you of your "new" place! The description sounded pretty fabulous...

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger John-Michael said…

    I thank you for this delightful introduction of you and some of the joys and beauties of your life. I can easily see why SulDog has so enthusiastically recommended you to his World. I will, most certainly, be back for more.

    Appreciatively ...

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    aww thanks John-Michael!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home