Sunday, September 24, 2006

In which I learn not to be such a pushover

Somebody joked to me at work that my name should be Miss Congeniality. I really didn't think much of it at the time - sure I try to be nice to everybody and usually go the way of the peacemaker if I have the choice. But could this mean that I let people take advantage of my (usual) good nature?

Remember this post?


I was reading old posts by Magazine Man and found a story about his bad experience with a "Really Big Home Improvement Store". They had done him wrong and went out of their way to avoid trying to make things right. His response to this is nothing short of genius and it has inspired me to at least try and do something about my horrible experience with the Really Big Moving Truck Rental Company (sorry MM - couldn't resist copying you a little here).

Another factor in my decision to try and kick up a fuss (and hopefully at least get an apology out of them) was that two other people within our circle of friends had the exact same experience last month!!!

"Um, hello sir! I wanted to tell you that we don't have any trucks available for today! Just wondering what time tomorrow would be convenience for you?!" (said with a chirpy, happy tone much like the answering maching message from our helpful customer service rep)

"Hello, I'm leaving a message to let you know that we do not have any trucks ready for the time you reserved them tomorrow. Perhaps you could pick up a truck in Guelph (person is living in London - 2 hour round trip) - although I should let you know that we only have them in a size smaller than what you originally reserved."

It brings to mind that episode of Seinfeld when Jerry rents a car and the rental company tells him it's "not available".

"So you have no trouble TAKING reservations - it's just that you can't hold onto them!"


Is Uhaul getting away with this because they are pretty much the only 1-way mover in Canada? W-5 even did a special about the shoddiness of this company and their terrible customer service. Why are they even still running?


2 Comments:

  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    M:

    I wanted to read the previous post you reference, but the link didn't work. Is it me or you?

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    whew - i didn't realize it wasn't working - not sure why but the link kept sending me to my edit list... weird...

    should be all good now!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home