Thursday, September 14, 2006

headlines and headers

I'm fighting a losing battle with photoshop right now. Grabbed a Fosters and decided to catch up on some blogs and news, and found a couple of things that I just HAD to comment on.


Airports Banning Paper Now?
I'm confused.

Maybe somebody out there who knows about this can help me out.

I read this article on, you guessed it, msnbc about JK Rowling fighting with airport security so she could bring her still-in-progress transcipt of the last Harry Potter book.

She was very proud of the fact that she'd "won" the argument and been allowed to bring the pages bound with elastic onto the plane.

Okay... somebody needs so 'splain something to me - I know we're not allowed to bring bottles of water or makeup or anything else that's liquid, but what's the deal with PAPER? Since we're now allowed to bring lighters onto planes, what kind of damage can somebody (let along JK Rowling) do with a pile of papers?

right. paper cuts.


I love him... but I'm still going to try and change him
I seriously thought this was a joke. But no, somebody in msnbc has decided that this was legitimate news.

It definitely made for interesting reading and I'm sure that I'm not the only person using it as blog fodder.

Apparently the wives and girlfriends of Columbian gang members decided to publicly announce to the world that they will not have sex with their men until they give up their guns and criminal lifestyles.

First of all these women have decided to either MARRY or at least sleep with gang members, who likely spend most of their days carrying dangerous guns around as they sell drugs and do all sorts of illegal things. Did they not understand what a gang was??? Did they not hear anything about what a COLUMBIAN gang does???

Guns/drugs/crime or sex? I hope they do a follow-up on this story so we can find out what these guys chose...


Cork World?
Apparently scientists have discovered a giant planet about 450 light years away from Earth that is one-third the density of water and basically would weight less than a giant ball of cork.

Could this be the stopper for God's giant bottle of cabernet merlot?


Okay, so have a few things done for my new header but honestly want to forget that I even had the idea in the first place. Photoshop is incredibly confusing - I'm trying to follow a step-by-step process that I found online and it just isn't working. It's just not doing what the article says it's supposed to. Looking for other options and played with a few templates using a combination of Microsoft Word and Paint. (yes, I know mickey mouse stuff)

here are two of the things I came up with so far...



This one needs its dimensions changed so it's similar to the one above, but you get the idea.


Good? Not Good? I also had one with a flag theme, but I don't know if i like it... would probably be nice if I could have a background of ocean waves or something. I guess I can't ignore Photoshop forever...


Bah, I guess I better get back to it. Maybe I should just grab one more beer first...

4 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Stu said…

    The one with the two flags is by far the best concept.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Stu said…

    And on the Columbian Anti-Sex League tip, it is news because it might work. If it does, it's a bold statement for Feminism. As a staunch Feminist, I'm actually following this story closely. Would be cool if women figured out a way to achieve world peace.

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Thanks for the feedback Stu!

    Also - I completely agree with you on the great steps for feminism, Stu - and have to add how refreshing it is to hear about a man supporting women so strongly :)

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Stu said…

    The following is not said to toot a horn, but to elucidate:

    I grew up with an older sister (11 years older) who was a feminist. Very strong, assertive, intelligent, and incredibly candid and earnest. She was (and is) a strong role model for me.

    My mom is very strong as well, and I remember her struggle for respect in the 70s, when women were, in suburban NJ, still told to wait their turn.

    I now have a wife and daughter that I need to stand by. Not protect, not stand in front of, but stand by, stand next to. And I need to support them as they would support me. Until we all treat each other as equals, I feel the need to fight the good fight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home