Saturday, September 09, 2006

One Year Ago (an early birthday "card")

























Dear Addis,

A year ago today I was driving down the 401 on my way to London, trying to imagine how much your mommy's life was going to change (and thinking that mine was about to change a little bit too). She was on her way to the hospital so she could finally have you. As I drove down the highway, I imagined an adorable little baby who would call me "Auntie" and completely steal my heart.

I had no idea.

That night I stayed at a friend's house and spent the whole night waiting for the phone call from your daddy to tell us you were finally here. We'd been waiting for what seemed like forever (although it seemed even longer for your mom).

Around 4:30am on September 10th, the phone rang. It was your daddy, sounding exhausted, ecstatic and overwhelmed. I don't remember what I said - and he probably doesn't remember either. He told me you were a healthy boy and that you and your mom were doing great. When I hung up the phone your mom's friend and I both started to cry. You see, we were there when your mom found out she was going to have you. We watched her get bigger each month and go through all of the preparations that new parents go through. I got to feel your little feet kicking inside your mom's belly and watch her get more and more excited for you to be born. It was pretty amazing stuff.

The first time I saw you, you were 10 hours old. Not even a whole day old! You opened your eyes and looked right up at me and part of me wanted to believe that you'd know my voice (since I had been around you mom for so much of her pregnancy). I said hello with tears in my eyes and remember thinking what a miracle you were.

Watching you (and your pal, Gordie) growing up has been nothing short of amazing. You went from being a little baby who slept alot to a little boy who laughs and smiles all the time, and imitates everything you see the big people doing. You're curious about everything and want everybody you see to come and say hello. It's easy to see that you'll have lots of friends as you grow up.

It's hard to believe that you're going to be a whole year old tomorrow! You've grown into an adorable little man that everybody likes as soon as they meet you (a lot like your mommy). I wish I could be there for your first birthday, but since I got to meet you on your first day in the world, I guess I'm still pretty lucky. Plus there will be many more birthdays for me to spoil you rotten with candy and educational teacher gifts...

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONE YEAR OLD!!

Lots of Love from all the way across the ocean,
Auntie Melinda











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home