Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Pros and Cons

I need advice.

Jeremy and I are facing a decision that we have been trying to sort out for a few weeks now. Neither of us has been able to come to any conclusion and we have to make some major choices soon.

So I thought it was time to share this with the teeny (but much loved) group of people who read my blog. Since I admire you all so much, I am asking, no wait - begging, for somebody who is not going to be directly effected by this choice to step in and be a voice of reason.

As I've posted before, Jeremy won his appeal and has been granted his working holiday visa. The catch is that he has to return to Canada AGAIN in order to receive it. So we face a dilemma: does he fly back, get his visa, and return here again where we will live and work until the end of next summer? Or does he wait a bit, fly back to Canada, move in with our friend George (who's like family and just got a two-bedroom condo in London, Ontario) and live and work there while waiting for me to move back this summer?

So that's the choices. Live here for another year and a half or just until July.

And here is my Pros and Cons list (feel free to comment with any others that I might have missed):

Pros: Staying in London for 18 More Months
* we would get a chance to travel (since we'd both be working and could finally afford it)
* we'd be able to earn our keep in British pounds so every extra pound saved is worth $2.40 Canadian
* I'm guaranteed to be working often (possibly with the school I'm at now)
* Jeremy might actually get to work in HIS field
* Pub Nights
* Cheap beer
* tons of things to see and do
* we live beside one of the most beautiful parks in the country
* Don't need a car because public transportation (usually) is fantastic
* I'll be able to finally imitate a British accent properly

Cons to Staying for 18 More Months
* This city is ridiculously expensive and we might not actually save any money at all
* Homesickness, missing holidays, birthdays, and my nephews growing up
* The flats here are SO small
* Missing out on potential jobs in Canada because I'm here
* commuting for an hour every day sucks
* having to deal with annoying tourists
* No hockey for AGES
* No BBQ, no Wendy's, no dill pickles, no Jalapeno Cheedar Doritos, no East Side Marios or Casey's, no extra huge servings at restaurants that means a yummy lunch the next day
* the only places I'd be able to go swimming are at least 2 hrs by (train or plane) away


Pros to Moving Back to Canada (to London, Ontario) in July
* We'd have a place to stay pretty much rent-free for several months
* That place comes equipped with en-suite laundry, a pool, a hot tub, and a sauna
* We'd be back home with friends and family
* I wouldn't be homesick anymore
* Being in a place that doesn't involve battling 7 million other people to get to work every day
* it's GREEN in Canada and I'm just a drive away from our cottage
* We'd get to have all of the yummy foods that we miss
* I'd get to use all the stuff stored under Jeremy's grandparent's place (like my kitchen stuff and the BBQ)
* SPACE!!! Humanely-sized apartments, wide open spaces, lots of trees and fields, and of course, the lakes - reason enough to want to come home.

Cons to Moving Back in July
* I might not have a teaching job to return to (and it's really hard to get one in Canada)
* No car of my own
* possibly myself and Jeremy having to work at call centers again
* Not getting to travel



I know I've repeated myself a dozen times but I really don't feel like going through and editing this post - every time I read these lists I get more confused.

So there it is - let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    The funny thing is Mel, it's almost the same dilemma that you faced when you went there last year. Really at the end of the day which would you regret more? If someone said you had to come home in July and you didn't have a choice would you be sad or vice versa if someone said you couldn't come home would you be sad? Flip a coin and see. I'm sure either way the two of you will enjoy your desicion just like you did this year.

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    We haven't really enjoyed the results of our choices for the last two years. Sure, some good things have come along, but Jeremy's joblessness, my lack of full-time work in Canada after starting teacher's college, and the thousands and thousands of dollars of debt have made us a little wary of being decision-makers. Either choice will carry the possibility of both good and bad things - but we have to figure out which is the more logical choice and stick with it.

    I just wish i knew what that choice should be...

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Tam's thoughts said…

    I would never pass up the opportunity, but only you can make the choice. If your thinking of coming home early because your miserable than come home but if it's because you miss your friends and family, they will be here when you get back. I know how you feel. Dave and I went through it. I made the move to Saskatchewan with Dave, not knowing if I would ever get a job. We moved to a small town of 1200 people with only a few stores. We had to drive 1 hour to a Wal Mart. My point is if you want to be there you will make it happen. 18 months will fly by. TRUST ME. I never once regreted my decision of moving there. Dave and I got to know eachother even better. We made some great friends ( miss them lots). When we were moving back home I was so sad about leaving SK since I had my paramedic certification and transfering over is hard. Either way you'll be a little upset. Just make the decision that's best for you. We also lived 2 years in Northern Sk on a Native reserve. The 2 years flew by. I know you can stick it out. Your in England much much much better than the hell I was in Northern Sk.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home