Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What happens when you mix 1 inch of snow with 7 million Londoners??



total chaos...

I could go on for a long time about how funny it is to watch people react to snow when they're not used to it, how there were hundreds of accidents, train lines were closed down, and the commute to work was made even more difficult and lengthy than normal.

But I won't.

Instead, I'll focus on the adorable reaction that the children had to the snow, carrying armloads of it around with them as they made their way to school. How their faces lit up at the thought of building a snowman. How excited they were when they finally made it into the classroom this morning.

I'll think about my own reaction to walking up the stairs to the street and seeing a blanket of white covering the cars and bushes. Since we weren't really expecting snow, it was a shock that left me standing in the street (much like one of the children mentioned above) staring wide-eyed as I pulled out my phone to take a picture.


Halfway up the street, I realized that I would have time to dash into Kensington Gardens to see what it looked like.


Not having a decent camera this morning would have made me sad if it hadn't been so beautiful. After finally tearing myself away from the park (since I was going to be late if I didn't get moving), I bumped into a guy taking pictures as well. We exchanged lively greetings (something that never happens in the streets here - people are too busy pretending nobody else is around them) and discussed how cool it was that it snowed here.

Being Canadian, I'm used to complaining about snow. It's funny how moving away has made me nostalgic for all of the good things that winter can bring...


The view from my classroom window this morning


the schoolyard


Here's my favourite picture. It's of a group of my students watching the other children come into the schoolyard, carrying loads of snow and jumping around with excitment. They all wanted to go back outside (and I wish I could have let them) but since somebody had to be the grown-up, they had to settle for looking out the windows.


I hope I remember how happy this made me when I'm back in Canada scraping ice off of a windshield in -20 degree temperatures.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:26 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    That's awesome Mel!
    I love your pictures.
    BTW you look great!... but way too happy with the snow ;)

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    It really can be pretty, can't it?

    I've always gotten a kick out of film versions of Dickens's "Christmas Carol". They almost invariably show a snowy London, when in fact snow is a rarity there.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Mooney - sorry man, I like ONE day of cold and snow. Don't think I'm missing the freezing cold winters that we get back home all that much... ;)

    Laura - thanks! (for both things you said)

    Sully - I never thought about the snowy London thing - but you're right! Since most of those movies actually are filmed here, I guess they make their own snow...
    It was gorgeous to see the real thing though - even if it only lasted for a day.

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yea you wont remember any happy times when your back here scraping ice off anything.. it makes you want to kill the snow and everything it embodies.

    blair

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melinda you do realize you may be banned from countries that do not normally have snow! I seem to recall the state of Florida being shut down once we arrived there for Christmas in 1989 because of a snow storm. Something that had not been seen in many years. I also believe it was the coldest temperature recorded. (I believe you were upset leaving Canada as you would not have a white Christmas!!!) You will have to remember when you travel to warn your friends that you may be directly responsible for snow.
    Love the pictures. You look great!
    Love MOM

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Hey Mel, sorry I haven't been commenting lately.. I haven't been posting either, I've just been being lazy and not doing much, so I appologize! :) Love the pics and glad you can appreciate the snow.. we gots plenty coming down as we speak here in good ol' Sudbury! :) Take Care

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Hey, I replied to the question you asked the other day - check out me blog! Yeah, I said me blog.. I feel Irish today, and a little bit crazy too it would seem *sigh* bordem will do that to a person. Is it bordom? or bordem? either way, I'm bored! lol Guess it's time to go to bed and watch some Tele... now that's English! Ciao Bella... hehe I won't even say it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home