Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Diary of the Girl Next Door

December 31st, 2006
11:48pm

"C'mon sweetie! Give me a snog! It's New Years after all!" shouted a young man wearing ripped jeans, a purple velvet suit jacket and glowing sunglasses.
'Only in London', I grinned to myself as I watched his spiky-haired companion oblige with a lusty kiss, while pushing my bangs out of my face.

"Why do you keep playing with your hair?" asked Jay.

Ever since I'd gotten the Worst Haircut Ever, the bangs that usually swept the left side of my face had taken on a life of their own, falling in front of my eyes every few minutes and refusing to tuck behind my ears.

"It's bugging me", I sighed, then smiled up at him, thinking about how exciting it was to be in London with thousands of other people while we waited for Big Ben to chime in the New Year.

Sometimes it amazed me how far away from home I had traveled. 7,000km away from home. Just a few months earlier, I had been sitting on the dock at the lake, surrounded by familiar sights and people. Now we were huddled in our winter coats on a ledge looking at Big Ben, the Parliament Buildings and Westminster Abbey, listening to accents from all over the world shouting and singing as people celebrated the arrival of 2007.

We were drinking rum & cokes that Jay had brought in his backpack along with towels, a bag of chips and a couple of bottles of water. As usual, I had my camera in my hand and was trying to take some perspective shots to show people back home just how many people were crammed into the square.

As we counted down to midnight, I thought of the year ahead and wondered if things would finally go our way.

"Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to miiiind!" We hugged and cheered and sang along with the other travelers, conscious of the fact that all of our old acquaintances were on the other side of the Atlantic.

"Happy New Year!"

I looked up at the sky and made a wish that this would come true...



What do you think? Interested enough to read more? If there was ever fodder for trying to write a book, it's my experiences in London... (a fiction book, by the way - just with some real life references)

2 Comments:

  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    I'd always be interested in reading more of your stuff, M. But I wonder if fictionalizing your adventures might not be the best choice? I think your real-life odyssey (or is that ODD-yssey?) to London would make very compelling reading, if put between two hard covers and such.

    Just my two cents (American, by the way, so worth just a bit more with the exchange :-) )

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    .96 on the dollar today...

    Go for it Mel!!!!

    Laura

     

Post a Comment

<< Home