Thursday, August 02, 2007

One of those days I'll never forget

I've had knots in my stomach for three days now. Nervousness, lack of appetite, and falling into trances of deep thoughts while I was supposed to be participating in conversations. Daydreaming about recent events and the impact they are going to have on the rest of my life has finally been fun (and even joyful)...

Last Sunday...
We were walking in our favourite park in London, Ontario, Harris Park. We used to always take long walks along the river, staying on the footpaths that are more difficult to walk through because it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere, and nobody else is around. We always stop at certain little clearings to sit on hanging tree branches and watch the ducks or just listen to the birds singing and the water rushing past the rocky shores. It's such a peaceful place - I couldn't figure out why Jeremy was acting so squirrely until we came to a clearing in the path where the Thames (which is nothing at all like it's namesake) rushes over rocks, past a field of wildflowers, to where a large tree hangs over the water as though it's trying to dip its branches in to cool off. It was ridiculously hot outside and I was in the middle of complaining about needing a giant bottle of water when he grabbed my arm...

... and got down on one knee...

I looked down at him in disbelief - he was so nervous, he could barely get the words "will you marry me?" out as he slid the ring onto my finger.

I looked at the shiny ring (which was his grandmother's engagement ring - something that makes it way more special than anything else he could have given me), and realized that even though I have had doubts about my future, that I'd never imagined it without him. No matter what has happened in my life since we've met, he's always been there for me and has loved me even when I have most certainly not been loveable.

We sat on a large branch that hangs over the river afterwards, talking about what had led him to this point (apparently something he'd been considering for months), and gazing at the ring on my left hand. We couldn't stop smiling...

Since that point, we've told a few very close friends, but wanted to wait to tell our families until this weekend, when everybody would be together. That meant waiting the whole weekend until today, when we meet at Aunt Kim's for an annual dinner, then head down to the Canal for the parade of the ships and an always-amazing fireworks display. I could barely eat a bite of food because I was so nervous / excited (which was unfortunate because the food is always incredibly good). I kept imagining all sorts of scenarios in which we could break the news, but nothing seemed to work out. People coming and going, people not coming home, leaving to get other things - frustrating trying to get a large group of people to all stay in the same place for longer than a few seconds.

Finally, we just told everyone to stay in one place for a second, and Jeremy said "We got engaged!" This was just a few hours ago but I already don't remember the first few moments after that, other than it being a blur of tears and hugs and congratulations.

We sat under the fireworks display later in the evening, with our family all around us. My mom grabbed her camera and took a picture of us sitting under the bright, colourful lights. I've never felt so content or proud, just sitting with him and our loved ones, knowing that we'd all be joined as family. We're so lucky to have such wonderful families.

Four and a half years, countless ups and downs, thousands of kilometers traveled, it all lead to that moment...

No matter where we end up, no matter what else happens - where he is, that's home.




In Other Happy News,
I've been awarded TWO awards!! The Thinking Blogger Award, and the Rockin' Girl Blogger Award! Not only is it cool to recieve such great compliments, but they've come from one of my very favourite bloggers, who instead of moving TO London, England, actually moved away from that wonderful city all the way across the world to New Zealand. If you think I was brave, you should check hers out - she's funny, insightful, and can even make her own soap!
(now I need to figure out how to put those little icons on the side of my page)

6 Comments:

  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    CONGRATULATIONS! Set a date yet?

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow! Congratulations :-)

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Thanks to both of you - no date set, as it'll probably be a couple of years for us to save up the money... Right now I'm just enjoying looking at the ring on my finger :)

    (pics and other updates forthcoming)

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow sorry I couldn't get a hold of you on the weekend.
    We'll have to talk when you get back to London.
    Perhaps I'll have to drive up there for dinner some night and we can have a girls night out.
    Laura

     
  • At 1:07 AM, Blogger VeloCC said…

    Melinda, as a total stranger, I want to wish you a life filled with love and that "homey" feeling. I am German and got engaged and married to an American and I feel the same way. Home is where he is. And that is Omaha, Nebraska right now...
    Congratulations!!!

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey girl, how exciting...congratulations to you! May you continue to florish within your chosen path in assurance that nothin is real without love.
    all the best hon,
    Melissa.x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home