Wednesday, October 22, 2008

In which I realize that pile of clothes has been on the floor for a week

There are about 30 blog posts buzzing around in my brain right now, but I don't have any time to write them. Every time life calms down enough for me to sit here and type, I either find myself wandering to CNN.com to check what's happening with the crazy election in the States, playing around on Facebook, or watching random TV episodes that my fiance did NOT download onto our server for my enjoyment.

I've gone out teaching two times since the last blog post - both of which went well and make me want to be teaching full-time even more. The last couple of weeks I've been getting out to schools all over the area with my card, most often wearing my lab coat in preparation for a school gym show. These shows give me 40 minutes of undivided attention of students, staff, and often the principal. Pretty good advertising for somebody who wants to work in their schools. After each show, I visit the office, chat with whoever is in there, and give them my card. Normally when a supply teacher wants to drop off a card, we are begging them to take it - and crossing our fingers that somebody might decide to call us someday. When I'm wearing my lab coat, they thank me. It's like magic.

Recently, I've been doing a lot of the office administration stuff in addition to the school gym shows and other activities that are usually in my day planner. Things have been just crazy, but it's fun and much better than sitting at home waiting for schools to call me.

It's been just over a year since I was hired at this job. A year ago, Jeremy and I had just moved out of our friends' place, and I was desperately searching for any way to get onto the supply teacher list for our local school board. Part of me still can't believe that I made it. Now I'm working constantly and wistfully looking out the car windows at the gorgeous Fall colours as I rush from school to school. Even weekends are usually busy with birthday parties or shows. I love it, but I'm getting pretty tired.

Being tired a lot means that household chores often get overlooked in favour of things like watching TV episodes on my computer, seeing friends, or simply going to bed early. Dishes pile up for a day or two (which drives me crazy), our bed doesn't get made very often anymore, I clean the kitchen and bathroom every week instead of every few days, and for some reason, I can't seem to find the motivation to put my clothes away.

Every night for last week I've neatly piled my (folded) clothes that were sitting on the bed (to motivate me to put them away) onto the floor before burrowing under the covers.

Yes, my mother raised me to not be lazy, but even as I type this, I know that those clothes will still be on the floor tomorrow morning.


And that the dishes in the sink probably will wait till tomorrow night to be washed.

And the rug won't get vacuumed until at least the weekend.

The garden won't be tended to until next week, even though I know I have to get it ready sooner than later.

The emails I need to respond to will sit in my inbox for at least another few days.

The blog post series that I've really wanted to write (somebody who has been on my mind for several days now) won't be written until "later".

The walks I keep meaning to take with my camera will keep on being post-poned.

I will likely continue to procrastinate on all of these things and more as work consumes my days. Usually when this happens, things feel stressful and unpleasant, but since I truly love my job(s), things feel pretty good right now.

And if tomorrow I visit my best friend for some TV and flavoured coffee, I'll re-read this blog post to remind myself that those clothes on the floor can wait for another day (or two).

3 Comments:

  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Jaimi said…

    Procrastination is like my art from! At least you have a valid reason for it, right? I'm glad to hear you've started supplying, and can't wait to hear about it...we'll get out walking soon :p

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Suldog said…

    You've got your priorities straight. Sleeping always takes precedence over putting away clothes!

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sounds like you are living in you bedroom on Maple Blvd....

    Remember in all this hectic living to take time to be grateful for at least 3 things each day. Studies show this actually lessens stress and initiates positive thinking.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home