Saturday, December 31, 2005

things i've learned this year (that i can still remember)

This was a pretty dramatic year for the whole world, with the aftermath of the tsunami, all of the hurricanes, the Iraq war continuing, celebrities being even crazier than normal, etc. It's funny how many things can change, but everything really is still the same. People are still being born, still dying, wars happen, peace happens, drama happens, people struggle to make money, while others spend more than I'll ever make in a lifetime. I love sitting for a minute at midnight to imagine scenes from all around the country and the world just at that moment. Definitely keeps a person humble to be reminded of our small (but still important) role in the world.


Things i've learned this year:

  1. Hangovers can last for more than one day.
  2. Pregnancy tests are NOT clear, regardless of what they tell you, and figuring them out can be just as dramatic as 9 months of pregnancy.
  3. Life can resemble TV a lot more than I ever realized.
  4. People often want something or somebody that they can’t have, only to change their minds completely when the object of their desire isn’t so unattainable.
  5. Florida SUCKS at the end of March – seriously, never go there during the last week of March! Busiest time of the year.
  6. Dinner with Disney characters can turn three tired and cranky grown ups into little kids.
  7. Airline employees can be trained to become members of a flight crew in less than two hours (and yes, this is from personal experience and an 11 hour delay at the Orlando airport)
  8. It is possible for people to learn the inner workings of a cell phone that does email, instant messaging, surfs the internet, downloads ringtones, takes pictures and videos, and plays games – without taking a course in college or university.
  9. People from North Carolina are the most polite people in the United States. They also have amazing food.
  10. I totally suck at body surfing and wake boarding.
  11. I love Greek food, country ham, hush puppies, peach cobbler, and sweet tea.
  12. It's almost impossible to take pictures of lightning.
  13. I’m very good at navigating my way through strange places.
  14. It’s possible to run from one end of the Detroit airport to the other in 45 minutes, while carrying a laptop, two heavy bags, and still have time for the duty free store.
  15. Several people I expected to keep in touch with after moving away disappeared from my life almost instantly.
  16. I will never ever name my daughter Katrina.
  17. CNN should only be viewed for short periods of time... and people should watch something funny for at least a half an hour immediately afterwards.
  18. 90% of landlords are not nice (understatement of the year).
  19. Moving stuff from a large two-bedroom apartment to a one-bedroom apartment is ever harder than it sounds. (16 hours, two hour drive, one SMALL elevator, and four people)
  20. “42” may very well be the answer to life, the universe, and everything – but none of us will ever be able to explain why… which makes sense if you think about it.
  21. Several people I expected to lose touch with after moving away have become closer friends than when we lived in the same city.
  22. It is possible to love somebody not related by blood so much that you can’t help but call them a relative.
  23. Old friends are the greatest friends and I’m incredibly lucky to have these few people in my life.
  24. New friends are great too – and I can’t wait for some of them to become old friends, although I have learned that most won’t be around forever.
  25. I still can’t lick my elbow. Or do cartwheels.
  26. I can read a 250 page book in an hour.
  27. Some songs are always going to remind me of the past.
  28. I still talk too much!
  29. New Year's always makes me a little bit too sappy and nostalgic, but this is better than being regretful and sad.
  30. I am going to be a teacher someday... just have to find my classroom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home