Monday, October 09, 2006

Today in History...


I've just spent a half hour trying to find interesting things that have happened on October 9th with very little success. It seems that some people I've never heard of died, some people fought battles in world wars 1 and 2, somebody got assassinated (Che Guevara if you care), and lots of "famous people" (who I bet none of you has heard of either) were born.

Today does seem to be historically significant in the life of John Lennon - he was born on Oct 9th, met Yoko Ono for the first time on this day as well.

In 1982 the 400th episode of Soul Train aired on October 9th.

Having no luck finding anything truly noteworthy (aside from the John Lennon stuff) about October 9th, I typed "one year ago today" into Google hoping that it would magically find some fascinating facts about this day in history. Unfortunately the search resulted in dozens of blogs with the same title. Of course none of them were about Oct. 9th...

If a Google search fails me, I usually give up.

This time though, I couldn't. Why?

There does happen to be one more important historical fact about this day in history that needs to be mentioned...

On this day in history, a baby girl was born in Ethiopia - she grew up to become one of my best friends and is now the proud mommy of a darling boy named Addis.

I won't say her age (not that she's old at all, but maybe she doesn't want you to know), but I can say


HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEDAWIT!!!

I wish that I could be there to eat chocolate cake (and spinach dip) with you.
You might not be in Google under special events in history, but rest assured that anybody who knows you thinks your birthday counts as something special. Hope it was a great one...




It's funny how you're smiling in every picture I have of you - which I suppose is fitting since you spend so much of your time doing that (even when you're not feeling happy...). Since a birthday is a time to celebrate the person being a part of your life, I'd like to thank you for being such a wonderful friend. I love the fact that we can talk for hours about nothing - no matter how long it's been between phone calls.

Thanks for being there through the rough times and making me laugh when I wanted to cry. I hope that I've been as good a friend to you as you have been to me.



Lots of love and good wishes from across the ocean... miss you lots and hoping to be there for your next one :)











By the way, you are now about 788,972,312 seconds old. (doesn't sound like much, does it?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home