Saturday, March 24, 2007

Wow am I ever tired! Let's do a little math here (or "maths" as they say here in Britain):


An average of 6 hours of sleep per night for a week.

+ Teaching 30 little kids full time.

+ 3 hours of commuting everyday.

+ Saying goodbye to my boyfriend for 4 months and welcoming my parents to London.

+ a father who snores like a chain saw, combined with the fact that this flat is tiny and has no bedroom door

+ Wandering around every evening and all day Saturday.

__________________________________________

The ability to fall asleep within 5 seconds of lying down (and possibly before even hitting the pillow) and the inability to write even a mediocre blog post.

But what the hell - I'll try anyway.


My parents are napping after our 2 1/2 hour walk up Portobello Road (the antiques market there is the biggest in the world), looking at hundreds of booths full of food, clothing, books, souvenirs, gadgets, kitchen stuff, and of course, antiques. It's a lot of fun to explore, and I knew that they would really enjoy it. The weather is freezing cold today though (been cold since J left), so we're in for the rest of the afternoon, which is okay because I'm all cozy with my laptop, teddy bear, and a cup of coffee with Bailey's, as I listen to my dad snore.

Tonight we're going to see "Treats", which is this hot new British comedy playing at a theatre near Leicester Square. I'm looking forward to another chance to see a play, since I haven't had the money to really do that since we moved here. During the next few weeks, we'll be seeing the Tower of London, Madame Tussaud's and the Planetarium, Kew Gardens, a bunch of museums and cathedrals, at least one other play, and the view from the London Eye.

It's really been great to see London through my mom's eyes, because she's amazed by everything right now - even the Tube. All over again, I'm learning to appreciate being here, and am proud that I can say I lived abroad for a year. Now that the sadness of waiting for Jeremy to leave, and dealing with the ridiculous rent each month is over (i'll be leaving this place for at the end of April), I will be able to have a little money available for shopping and other fun things. I'll be able to go and see the new Mr. Bean movie (starts next week) at the cinema, and can finally get the (probably off the back of a truck because it's so cheap) Luis Vuitton purse I saw at a street market.

So even though I'll miss him every day until I go home (and everybody else too, of course), the stress that we've been under has greatly eased. Finally. So I'm going to enjoy every moment I can, and try to keep thinking positive about my time here and the hella-good reunions that I'll have this summer.


I'll try to write tomorrow about the play and whatever we end up doing tomorrow (might be paddling in the Serpentine River, visiting the Planetarium, or a day in Kew Gardens - we haven't decided yet).

I'm off - time to head to the Garrick Arms (great London pub) for dinner.

G'night.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    Your Mom is amazed by everything, "even the Tube"???

    As a subway fanatic, I take offense! The Tube is a magnificent construct and deserves to be marvelled at!

    Oh, well. I suppose if you have to use it every day, the shine wears off quickly. You're forgiven.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home