Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Ever since my two best friends had babies, I've understood much more clearly what motherhood is about. (Enough sometimes to scare me away from ever having kids of my own - tales of sleepless nights and frighteningly nasty diaper stories, etc)

Moms are amazing.

They love us even when we scream and cry all night long as infants, give them major attitude as teenagers, date people who are clearly wrong for us, and make choices that they KNOW will lead us to trouble, yet they are always there when we need them.

Now as a grown-up (ha!) and professional teacher, I depend on my mother more than I have in years. We've spent hours on the phone, with my rambling on and on about my students and experiences as a teacher, with her just listening, knowing that I need to talk some of this stuff through. Sometimes she gives advice, and sometimes she just listens. Somehow she always knows what I need though... It's really great to be able to share this part of my life with someone who really understands this world - and has so much wisdom to share right back.

My mother has been a source of so many great things in my life. I grew up believing I could do anything as long as I tried, and having the confidence in myself to make some pretty tough choices. She's always been there for me, even when I've driven her crazy...

When my parents came to London for a month, I was a little worried about how well we'd get along (you've seen my old flat), but surprisingly we barely argued at all. They adjusted fairly well to the more bohemian, city lifestyle that I've been living here - even making do without properly made toast for TWO WHOLE WEEKS before purchasing a toaster from Tesco.

So once again in my life (hopefully not for the last time), I was on holiday with my parents. Being the incredibly generous people that they are, we went to Paris instead of somewhere else (I know it wasn't their first choice). They didn't complain once, and threw themselves into playing tourist in a country where they could only understand about half of what people were saying just because it's always been my dream.


I've played sports, gone on holidays, had fabulous birthday parties, tasted lobster and other delicious foods, and experienced hundreds of other wonderful things because of them.

I will take care of you
The very best that I can

with all of the love here in my heart
with all of the strength in my hand
Your every dream I'll share
for every tear I'll be there my whole life through
I will take care of you

- Amy Sky, I Will Take Care of You




Thanks to my mother for everything - I wouldn't be who I am today without you.





I don't want to end this on a sad note, but somebody I care about recently lost his mother, and I can't help but think of he and his family today. Please say a prayer today for those who are without their moms. I'm the kind of person who believes that they are always with us, even after they've passed away, but I do know that it doesn't lessen the pain of being without them.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    Very nicely done, in all respects.

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    thanks :)

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Hon, For some reason my comment didn't post yesterday. Sob! Thanks! Motherhood was always my dream and you sure help make the dream come true in so many ways. You are precious and a blessing to me. Love you and God bless. MOM

     

Post a Comment

<< Home