Tuesday, April 03, 2007

To the One Who Shares a Brain Cell With Me

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIMBERLY DAWN!!

I got a special picture with somebody yesterday, just for this birthday post:


Even though he's old (and crazy) now, I guess he's still pretty good-looking.
And we already know he likes girls our age!


Every time I start to write one of my birthday posts, I try to think of a really good memory to start with... The problem with trying that now, is that I have so many good memories with Kim that I could never just choose one. I could write about band trips, road trips, assemblies, marathon phone calls, parties, high school adventures, being her Maid of Honour, watching her be pregnant, meeting her son for the first time, or hundreds of other things...

She is the kind of friend that you have for life. The friend who has been there as we've grown from the uncertain, awkward 13 year olds that we were when we met into (mostly) grown-up women of 28. We have so much history that I could probably write a blog just about things that we've been through together.

Two nights ago, we went to see Mama Mia at a theatre near Leicster Square (in the center of London). After the show, we walked past Piccadilly Circus, where a TV outside the Virgin Megastore was playing "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by the Proclaimers. I froze on the spot, and tears came to my eyes. This time, I wasn't missing Jeremy...

Suddenly it was high school again - and my friends and I were singing at the top of our lungs to that song (we loved singing that song - and many others too), on one of our band trips, then in an assembly, then during a party with our friends (we pretty much sang everywhere, all the time). I remembered the feeling of belonging during those times, of really believing that we'd all be friends forever, and nothing in life would change that. Of course, many of our friends have gone their separate ways, and I probably won't hear from them again.

But we're lucky. There are a few of us from high school who did hold on to what we had, and have managed to stay in touch. A few of us who can say "we've been friends since high school", and know that we will always be friends - even when one of us moves across an ocean.


I've never had a sister - not one related to me.

But if there was ever a person who I would consider to be a sister - it's Kim. My funny, witty friend, who is now a mother and wife, and a mature woman of 28. The person who will stand by my side when I finally get married, and will be "auntie" to the children I haven't had yet. The friend who is the voice of reason during uncertain times, and the one I can always be myself with. One of the very few people who knows me as well as I do - somebody I hope to know when I'm 90 years old and sitting on a park bench, complaining about "kids today".

Kim: I've been lucky to be a part of your life; to have shared all of those crazy fun times, watched you fall in love, get married, and then become a mommy (!), and yet remain the same great person that you have always been. Thanks for being such a great friend, and I hope I get to write sappy blog posts for your birthday for many years to come.

Even if you don't know Kim personally (although you can always check out her blog here), raise a glass, say a prayer, or just send happy wishes her way.

Happy Birthday, my friend. I hope to never miss another one.




(this is Laura, me, and Kim - many, many years after we all met and became friends. It's funny how we still pretty much look the same)

6 Comments:

  • At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay..what's the deal Mel...Is that pic of the real thing....a wax museaum...or just another realllly similar face. He looks tto tall to be true.

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SOB,SOB,SOB hAPPY bIRTHDAY KIM. THIS MADE ME CRY. MATBE I;M DRUNK THOUGH
    hOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY. sORRY FOR THE SPELLING BUT I CAN;T SEE.

    loVE MARY

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Um... Okay - I wouldn't ordinarily comment on my own blog - but AHAHAHA
    my mother overdid it on the toasts for Kim's birthday and apparently couldn't figure out how to type / spell / turn off caps lock.

    Woohoo! So Happy Birthday Kim (again)!

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    First of all, your mom rocks! Thanks Mrs. Peterson!

    Second of all, I consider myself a very lucky gal to have such an amazing friend who would say such beautiful things. I definitely look forward to sharing all of the special moments in your life like you have been there to share in mine. Thanks so much, and I look forward to our year-of-celebrations-in-one-day party! Awesome!

    Love ya!

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Suldog said…

    What a wonderful thing, to have such a close, dear friend! Happy Birthday!

    (I didn't have time to buy you a gift, so I'll visit your blog, instead.)

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday Kim!!
    Can't wait to see you soon too Mel.
    When are you coming back?
    -Sorry I haven't been on for a while. Work has been crazy. I promise I'll update my blog soon.
    Love you both.
    Laura

     

Post a Comment

<< Home