Sunday, March 25, 2007

"Are You Married?"

I guess it's true when they say that your parents will always be able to embarass you - no matter how old you are.

Now don't get me wrong - I love my parents very much and am very happy that we're getting to explore London together. They're fun and we have great conversations, and we enjoy doing a lot of the same things.

But since I'm their kid (LOVE saying that I'm somebody's kid at 28 years old), I reserve the right to complain a little bit about the things they do that make me want to hide behind a door and pretend I've become invisible.

On their first night here, we went out to a neighbourhood pub for dinner, and my dad walked right up to the bar, and announced "I'm Canadian and it's my first night in London! I need BRITISH BEER!" to the bartender. Not too bad so far - I completely understand his excitement (he loves London) and was disappointed that the bartender wasn't more friendly with him.

Fast forward to the end of dinner, when a busboy was collecting our plates, and asking whether or not we enjoyed our meal.

"oh it was great! We're from Canada and had to have fish and chips!" (I'm now wondering how many random people are going to hear about our nationality during the next month)

The waiter looks curiously at me. "Roast beef?"

"I've been here 8 months".

"Oh, so you've already tried the fish & chips, huh?!", he laughed.

Not too embarassing so far - just cute examples of their excitement in being here.

Then last night...

We were at another pub, ordering dinner before going to see the play, "Treats" (with Billie Piper and Kris Marshall, best known as Colin from "Love Actually"). My dad knew what he wanted almost right away, but my mom and I took about 5 minutes of debating to finally decide.

When we went to the bar to order, my dad says to the bartender, "Are you married?"

Oh. My. God.
At this point I'm wondering what in the HELL my dad is getting at, as I watch the bartender's face go from friendly to wary and confused.

"No, sir", he says.

My dad turns and grins at me, not noticing that I'm now ready to throw something at him.

I'm just about about to make an apology for him, when my father says "Oh, well you're lucky! Try waiting for two women to make up their minds!" The bartender laughs, looking very relieved.

I quickly mumbled my order and dashed back to our table, hoping that somebody else would be bringing our food to us.


I can't help but wonder how many other stories I'm going to be able to add to this by the time they go back home...

2 Comments:

  • At 12:20 PM, Blogger Rob said…

    mmmm...Billie Piper

    But yeah, as embarrassing as those moments are, you now have memories that will NEVER fade (well, at least until senility sets in).

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    Yeah, not to get too maudlin - and I know where you're coming from in you're writing, so I'm not chastising you, my friend - but I recall being in my teens and being mortified by my Dad's telling and re-telling of the same old jokes and stories, but now that he's gone, I'd dearly love to hear them all again.

    Enjoy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home