Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another reason (actually two) that I shouldn't have moved 7,000km away from home


It's no secret that I'm a huge hockey fan. I knew when I moved to England, that it would be a looong year without any "ice hockey" to satisfy my love of the game, but I figured it would be okay, since my team probably wouldn't make the playoffs anyway.

When I say "my team", there are a few teams that actually fit this category:

1. The Colorado Avalanche (go ahead and make fun of me for cheering for a *gasp* American team, but I happen to think they're great (cough, well not this year, but hopefully next year things will improve), and Joe Sakic is my favourite player AND at least I don't cheer for the Leafs!)

2. The Sudbury Wolves (my true Hometown Team - where I learned to love and appreciate everything the Good Ol' Hockey Game has to offer over hundreds of games with my dad and the folks at "The Barn" in downtown Sudbury.)

3. The London Knights (After living there for over 3 years and watching a few games, and following their triumphant wins during the Memorial Cup, I developed a soft spot for this team. Which surprised me because I'd always assumed that there wasn't enough room in my heart for two OHL teams... turns out, I cheer for both - which might end up being a problem in the near future)


Now that I've established that - and likely chased away half of my readers (Ledawit, I'm looking at you!), I can explain the title of this post:


Yep, for the first time in 12 SEASONS the Sudbury Wolves are going to The Conference Finals. The last time this happened, I was only 14 years old. My parents are season ticket holders, and will have first dibs on the tickets (they're calling to get them today) so they'll get to most of the games when they get back. I'm really happy for my dad, because he loves this team and has been a loyal fan for 18 years (and has followed them his whole life). Just a little jealous though...

At least I can watch the NHL playoffs online sometimes, but for these games, I will be stuck with phone calls and online box scores.

GO WOLVES GO!!

------------------------------------

In completely different news (and infinitely more special), I have missed another major milestone in somebody's life. Another birthday.



This is Adele Mary, who was born on April 4th of this year, and is the daughter of my cousin Jeff and his wife Julie. A healthy little baby girl who has been born into a family full of happy marriages (none of us have ever divorced, and my grandparents were married for 63 years, until my grandfather passed away). I've been really lucky to grow up with the family I have - happy, successful people who enjoy life and one another, have great kids (most of have had at least 2), and throw incredible weddings. The only downfall is that we're spread all over Ontario, so we don't get together as often as I wish we would... My parents will probably get to meet the newest addition to our family way before I do, as well as the other baby will be born by then as well, the son or daughter of my cousin Corrine (from the wedding post linked above).

I can't wait to get back home so I can meet my newest cousins! Jeff & Julie, I wish you lots of sleep, and every happiness as you watch your baby girl grow up. May God bless you all.


---------------------------------------------------------------

And finally, a reason that I'm glad to have stayed overseas for a year:


Just a little teaser for the next post to come...

10 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    Well, doesn't Adele Mary need a change of headwear?

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    lol I think she would look nice in burgundy and white, but my cousin would probably disagree!

    She's so adorable that she could probably wear anything and we'd think she was the cutest.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Suldog said…

    M - You may or may not be aware of this already. I would have told you this via e-mail, but I don't have your address. Sharfa's Dad passed away. There is a small notice on her blog.

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    THanks for letting my know Sully - I'm heading over there right now to post my condolences. I'll email you my email after that...

    What a sad time for her - those of you who haven't visited her website, Sharfa is one of my favourite bloggers, a witty, intelligent lady who always has something interesting to say. Check out her archives for some great reading. And say a little prayer for she and her family during his difficult time...

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    you like Joe Sakic?I love him he is the reason I love the avalanche too that baby is adorable by the way:-)

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Kaylee - hell ya, Sakic is one of the greatest players to ever be on the ice in my opinion! I'm so glad he's playing for at least one more year so I can try and get tickets to see them again.

    cheers :)

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Mel,
    So enjoy reading your blogs. Enjoy your stay and keep us posted on life!
    Love Sue

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    I went a coyotes-avalanche game this year....I live in arizona and got him to autograph a puck for me:-)

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Okay Mel.
    Make with the pictures!!
    We're dying to see them!!!
    ;)

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Suldog said…

    And a Wolves update???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home