Sunday, May 21, 2006

I'm running away to sell fruit in the Bahamas

okay well maybe not but I definitely wish I was...

Sunday evening has arrived and the highlight of my night will be the Desperate Housewives finale and Game 2 of the NHL Western Conference Finals.

well that and something interesting that I came up with to combat my boredom.

This is something I haven't attempted in years, despite my great love of watermelon. Probably because the result of combining liquor with a watermelon resulted in a concoction so vile in flavour that my friends and I were forced to wash each "bite" down with beer.

I should explain that I was 19 years old and did not realize that an entire 26-er of Silent Sam vodka wouldn't taste good in a regular sized watermelon. Even after soaking up the vodka for over 24 hours, it still leaked vodka everywhere and we basically had to slurp up the pieces instead of bite into them. this did NOT taste good (basically like eating straight vodka). To make matters worse, I got pretty sick and couldn't eat watermelon for the rest of the summer.

Anyway, Being that this was a half of a watermelon and a tasty rasperry lemonade cooler, I figured it would be safe.

Flavour wasn't too bad actually. It definitely satisfied my craving for something fruity and tropical (since the weather outside is a very sunny 14 degrees).

maybe a few more of these will help me to forget about the Bahamas.

probably not though...

3 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Oh God That tasted like crap!! I tasted like solid vodka!!
    But we ate the whole damn thing anyways...
    We're just so much fun.
    I was actually looking at those pictures not too long ago.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    That's hilarious. Me and my friends did the very same thing a few years back, but since then I realised that you need a huge watermelon.. you need to stand it upright to avoid it all pooling into the center (gag) and like you said, using something other than straight vodka is a much better idea! I must try this again because that watermelon bowl of yours looks mighty tastey! lol

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    I can give some advice on this - even with a huge watermelon it will probably still taste nasty if you use an entire 26er! Basically I drilled a hole with a wooden spoon and gradually filled the watermelon more and more until the bottle was empty. Then i put a cork in it (that didn't work at all) and sat it in the fridge. Stupid thing weighed a ton and when it was cut open vodka spilled all over the place.
    good thing we were outside...
    oh the memories ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home