Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Wednesday Bracelet

"Miss Peterson - that's a beautiful bracelet!!" (exclaimed one of my students)

"Thank you. I wear it every Wednesday."

"Why?"

"I'm in a club..."



It was one of those amazing summer days - bright sunshine, the wind blowing off of the canal nearby, people wandering in and out of shops, carrying bags and enjoying cotton candy, ice ceam, and other treats. Live music echoes down the streets, adding to the sound of children laughing and animated conversation between families and friends. Every person seemed to have a smile on their face.

It was July in Port Colborne, and we were with Jeremy's family; happily participating in the annual Canal Days shopping experience, which for us involved two essential shops - Glam Girl (a store for any woman who loves shoes, purses, and accessories, thus appealing greatly to Jeremy's mom, little cousin, and aunt), and the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory (which smells just how I think heaven must).

It was about 6 weeks before Jeremy and I were going to get on an airplane to London, England.

I remember looking at the pretty displays of bracelets and earrings, wishing I could be frivolous and get a few pieces to bring with me. Knowing that I could get some inexpensive (but delicious) fudge and Jelly Belly gourmet beans, I headed down the street with Jeremy's grandmother, Mary. After a half hour of exploring, we left the shop with bags in our hands, to meet with the rest of the family.

I was enjoying the feeling of sunshine on my face and trying to justify buying some cotton candy when Jeremy's mom called out, "Hey Mel! We're in a club!", while handing me a shiny gold bracelet.

"We (herself, me, and Jeremy's aunt Kim) need to pick a day of the week when all three of us can wear our bracelets while you're in London".

After some discussion, it was decided that each Wednesday we would wear our gold bracelets, no matter what. In spite of my air-headed tendencies (according to my dad), I have managed to remember every since week since we got here - to the point that Jeremy has finally stopped asking me "did you remember the bracelet?"

I have caught myself planning outfits around the Wednesday Bracelet, and the children in my class (having heard an abbreviated version of the story) take great pleasure in reminding me that "it's Wednesday, Miss - are you wearing your pretty bracelet?". They think it's the coolest thing ever that two ladies from Canada are wearing the exact same bracelet at the exact same time as me.

Want to know a secret?

I think it's the coolest thing too.



Today, I sit at home (since it's our Half Term break - another week of sitting at home and not getting any money) hearing the gold band clinking against my laptop while I type this, and feeling awfully glad that there are people like The Wednesday Bracelet Club ladies waiting for us to return home.

(If you haven't already guessed - that return will be next month for Jeremy, and August for me, since I'll be working with MY class until the end of the year.)

(Yep, we're moving home a year early.)

(At least my blog title won't change. I'll be going from this London to another London. Again.)


(hmm, can I be truly cheesy and say "there's no place like home"?)

(ha. I just did.)

(Okay, enough - will update all of you (and by "all", I mean all 4 of you) more on this developing story next week.)

(good night)



(Forgive me Sully, for copying your excessive use of parentheses. It's a lot of fun, though!)

7 Comments:

  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Suldog said…

    I don't have a copyright, so feel free.

    (Although, if I did have a copyright, I'd grant YOU free use.)

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    (awww thanks)

    :)

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Burnie said…

    You being the lady with the camera, a picture of said "braclet" would have added (a picture is worth a thousand words)to your real nice story... :)

    From the frozen North

    "A Valley post")...

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Darn - you caught me being lazy! I actually mentioned to Jeremy that I should get off my butt and take a picture of it for this post, but hadn't gotten around to it...


    ps. nice to hear from you - hope everything's good with you and the family (and that you're all keeping warm up there)

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    (Hey Mel, sorry I haven't been around much lately... been busy with school and sleeping)

    (I love the whole idea of a club like that, I think it's so cute and fun and I would totally be up for something like that - I should suggest it to my friend Dana in nova scotia!)

    (Im glad that you and Jeremy have come to a decision, and i think it's the right one, for nothing you do can ever be wrong - it's simply a different path leading you to different places)

    (Talk with ya soon! Take care!) hehe

    Lyndsay

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    (wow Lyndsay - thanks for the words of wisdome! That is such a great way of looking at decisions - I really appreciate it)

    (I wonder how long it'll take for this parentheses thing to get old?)

    (hmmm... apparently not quite yet)

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Ha, what a neat story. I had no idea you guys did that.

    Anxiously awaiting your return. Fun times are ahead lady. I'll have a shot glass primed and ready.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home