Tuesday, March 28, 2006

does this mean I'm a grown up?

So tonight the remaining members of my section (most of them have now left for home to do their last placements in their home school boards) decided to have another fun night out. The plan was to go to a nearby pub for a few drinks then over to this great place called Papa Cheney's - home of the 2$ rye drinks.



After getting 3 emails and 2 phone calls, I decided it would be a good plan to go out, especially since it would be the last time we all get to spend time together before starting placement #4.

After a lot of discussion with Jeremy about whether or not he was coming and if so, would we drive and how late would we be staying out, I called one of the girls going out and asked what time she and her boyfriend would be there. A bit of miscommunication had happened - apparently only 3 people were going to the pub first, and only for about a half hour before heading out to Papa's.

Looking sadly at my hair straightner (which had been heating up for the last few minutes in hopes of fixing the hair up a little for going out), I realized it would need to be turned off and put back in the cupboard.

Why you ask?

One of the benefits of being "old" now is that I know myself well enough to know that if I was to go out to both bars - I would find myself stumbling drunkenly into the door at 1am.

Ordinarily this would not be a problem at all. Except I'm volunteering with my grade 1/2 class tomorrow at 9am and need to be awake and not hung over in the morning.

And so I sit in my quiet living room, watching Sex and the City as I drink a Cosmopolitan. Wow - I just realized how funny that sounds. See, Jeremy decided that I needed cheering up after making such a grown up decision - and produced two bottles of premade Cosmopolitans from the back of the fridge (purchased last week). They were meant for the weekend, but hell - the liquor store is open on weekends - we can always get more ;)



So my question is this: was this the boring choice? Am I old now? Too old to be spontaneous and party with my friends when I know I need the sleep to be ready for tomorrow? Am I at the point where friends who do still go out roll their eyes at my decision to cuddle in front of a good TV show?

Is is terribly cheesy that I'm watching "Sex & the City" with this particular drink?

Should I care???

I've learned a lot of things about myself and the world this past year - hopefully the decisions I'm making based on all of those lessons are good ones. Even if they're only about a night in with a premixed drink.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    lol, I think you made the right choice but I don't think you'll find much comfort in my comment since I too, think I am getting too "old" to do the things I used to do.

    You know what I think it is? It's that you're smarter now, you're wiser now, and know yourself all to well to fool yourself into thinking anything but the truth, and that, I think, is something to celebrate. The rest of the group is fighting that change of life because they're scared, and you know what else that makes you? Brave, not old! :P

    Again, good choice!

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Well, yes.. we are old. I would totally do the same thing... I'm even worse though. I can't even muster up the energy to go to see a movie in the theatre when I know I could see it in the comfort of my own house in just a few months.. Too much noise, and you can't go to the washroom when you want and then there's the uncomfortable seats... I'm totally getting old!!
    Plus I'm sure hanging out with Jeremy is better than just about anything every once in a while.
    Good choice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home