Tuesday, June 06, 2006

fireworks, flowers, and a lonely bird

My two favourite subjects this past weekend were flowers and the fireworks set off during our family get-together for Jeremy's birthday.





I took several pictures of the fireworks, with most of them looking more like lasers than anything else... they still look pretty neat though. I'm looking forward to going to Port Colbourne for the annual August long weekend fireworks - they're amazing and I'm sure it'll be fun trying to get pictures of them.



some of the fireworks hit a nearby tree






this picture came out pretty amazing - gotta love my new camera!



Every year for the May long weekend we all meet at Jeremy's grandparents' place for a big dinner (usually BBQ) and fireworks. There's usually about 30 ppl there and we all have a great time. This year they postponed it until Jeremy's birthday so we could all be together.





The rose gardens (there are three in the yard) were just gorgeous.










While out hunting for some more good pictures, I heard a muffled "thump" nearby. It turned out to be a female cardinal, who was sitting on a small tree beside the house next door. She had seen something in the window that caught her attention and suddenly started flying into the window over and over. After I managed to take a few pictures of the bird, she flew away.


When I mentioned what I had seen to Jeremy's grandmother, she asked if it had been a cardinal (I didn't know until she saw the pictures and said that it was). Then she said that apparently cardinals mate for life, and when one of the pair dies, the other bird goes a little crazy. When the birds see their reflections in windows, etc, they immediately fly at it, thinking they have found their lost mate.



So much for animals not having feelings...

2 Comments:

  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Aww, Mel, that last bit made me so sad... way to go! lol I do feel bad for little animals and even bugs sometimes. As much as I hate caterpillars and bugs I try my hardest not to step on them (I'll admit that a large reason I don't is to avoid hearing that disgusting POP noise when stepping on them *BARF*) Even when I walk to work and I see a worm wriggling on the sidewalk, searching for moist dirt I have often picked them up and tossed them into the grass - am I helping? I like to this so, haha. Spiders, different story - DIE SPIDERS! Bye Bye :)

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    okay spelling you get a "B", but as a friend you get "A+" so no worries :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home