Thursday, March 30, 2006

I see your true colours... best commercials ever

After the post about the annoying commercials, I feel the need to at least describe some other good things on TV. In the midst of the terrible, and occasionally gross (see comments section of my previous post), there has been the random funny or sweet commercial.

So here they are! I tried to list as many as I could think of:

Pepsi - the Jimmy Fallon ad - I think the main reason I like this commercial so much is because anything with Jimmy Fallon is going to be pretty good. His dance is funny and the music is silly enough to be entertaining. I hope they don't overplay it though - it might be easy to get sick of this one.

NHL returns "Shout it out loud" - this one played a lot for the first half of the NHL's return this fall. I probably would have loved it regardless (since I've been known to sing along with the theme from Hockey Night in Canada like an excited 5 year old), but after being deprived of hockey for a year, I got excited every time I saw it. Love the end shot of the zamboni and the crowd. yay for hockey!

NHL - I guess I should just put a disclaimer here that I pretty like every NHL commercial. Being the hockey nut that I am - I can't help but find their ads entertaining. I love the one of the game where the players end up leaving the ice, continuting play onto the streets and through a city.
NOTE: This disclaimer also covers any IIHF stuff - Team Canada commercials, Olympics, etc

Moosehead - I will always have a special place in my heart for Northern Ontario and the amazing beauty of the nature up there. For those of you who haven't seen it - a cabin party in the woods is interrupted by a moose silently swimming past a dock. The music is turned off and everybody watches. The silence and sound of the moose swimming remind me so much of my hometown. Makes me proud and homesick at the same time. (definitely miss the peace of a nighttime at Ella Lake)

Molson Canadian - They have had a few really good commercials (loved the "My name's Joe and I am Canadian" one), for example the one in the office, where the Canadian employee jersey's the guy making fun of Canadian stereotypes.

HP - picture frames - having worked for this company for awhile, I am more inclined to like their commercials. In spite of this, the ads with the people passing picture frames around and framing themselves is very cool.

Bell - We're all connected - this has a similar theme to the HP ones I talked about above. I'm not sure how to explain this one - starts with a little girl holding a picture of somebody. The camera zooms closer and closer, finally taking you inside that picture of another person holding a picture, repeating over and over, ending again on the girl from the beginning. This would have been a good ad for HP in my opinion, since it's photographs - but the "all connected" theme definitely works here too.

The only good tampon commercial ever:
Tampax - this was an old commercial that I saw a long time ago, but i've always remembered it because it's just that good. Picture two little boys playing in a living room while a mother sits in the kitchen. The boys have a discussion about not having anything to do, and suddenly one of them jumps up, runs out of the room, and returns holding a box of tampons. He announced "This is what we need!" At the other boy's puzzled expression, he explains "I saw a commercial about this - when you have these, you can go horseback riding, skiing, swimming..." Cut to the mother in tears from laughing so hard.

True Colours - Dove - I love love love these commercials!!! Especially the one that plays an accappella version of "true colours", while showing a group of young girls who all have a problem with how they look. As somebody who went to an all girls school, I have always felt strongly about women feeling confident and strong and beautiful in their own way. I've included the link to Dove's website because it's got a lot of really interesting information about their campaign. Maybe someday more than 2% of women will think - no wait scratch that - KNOW they are beautiful.
http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/


Once again - these are my opinions, and I'll try to add a few more as I think of / see them.

Author's note: this was a lot more challenging than thinking of the worst commercials - which leads to me ask: if it's easier to remember the terrible, gross commercials - are advertising companies doing this on purpose? are they really that smart? or is this some kind of fluky coincidence??

4 Comments:

  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    It is definately their advertising gimmick, I learnt about that in marketing. YOu know that stupid commercials like VONAGE, and "I want it CHEAPER" and "HEY CULLIGAN MAN..." They do it on purpose so it gets stuck in your head and if you need their product, they're the first one's you think of.. sick,, sad, and true! *sigh*

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Dave said…

    Best commercial ever? Anything by Susan Paquette.

    Six seven one, w-o-r-k!

    Actually, I don't watch many commercials these days, since I have a PVR and can fast forward (sweet!). I like the one which is for spicy chicken, I think, where the guy is in his office and keeps catching stuff on fire with his mouth/breath. Sad that I can't remember the product on that, but Susan's hairdo is permanently seared into my brain for eternity.

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    oh dude I can totally sing that commercial!! and yes that giant blonde hair will always remain clear in my mind... wonder how long it'll be before she uses up Sudbury's supply of hairspray?! :)

     
  • At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is totally random especially since i don't usually use blogger but i was JUST telling my boyfriend about this same commercial yesterday. I have no idea what made me remember it. I wish i could find it somewhere though. Have you had any luck?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home