Sunday, April 30, 2006

and they SCORE!!!


Don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but I am a major hockey fan. For any hockey fan, April is always a great month - Stanley Cup playoff time.

I watch a LOT of hockey in April.

It often surprises people to learn that this extremely proud-to-be-Canadian girl is a fan of the Colorado Avalanche. People in Canada want other people in Canada to only cheer for Canadian teams. Expand this to the fact that I've been living within 4 hours of Toronto for all of my life. If you're not a Leaf's fan then expect some people to roll their eyes at you and call you a traitor for cheering for anybody but them. LOL it's one of the thing I love about this sport - the friendly trash-talking and jokes passed between fans of different teams.

Two years ago my father got me tickets to see Colorado play in Toronto for Christmas, all wrapped up in an Avs jersey, which I proudly wore into the Air Canada Center for the game. As we were climbing the stairs to our seats, he had to pass an usher, who was checking tickets. When I handed him my ticket, he said "Miss, you can't be in here" in this really serious face. Shocked, I asked why, and then noticed him winking at my father behind me. Wow - I'm SO gullible huh... My dad still tells that story all the time.

So once again my cable bills become worth the money - this year even more games are being televised and I've gotten to watch almost every game so far. This means a lot of time on my couch starting at the tv. To combat this, I've been doing research about England while watching - so I at least feel slightly less like a couch potato.

Today the Avs advanced to the next round of the playoffs. An overtime goal too, which to even non-hockey fans is an exciting thing. I'm excited because I wasn't sure how they'd do at all. It's always fun when your team does well in the playoffs.


You said you didn't give a @*#$ about hockey - I never saw someone say that before.
- The Tragically Hip

Now I realize that some of you reading this do not like hockey, or even care about the sport at all (cough cough - Ledawit?!). If you are a part of this group - have no fear because I won't post about hockey very often... I tend to ramble on about this game and that goal, who checked who into the boards, how got what penalities, who will advance to the next round and wonder who'll win the Cup this year.

See there I go again.

Oh the good old hockey game
it's the best game you can name,
and the best game you can name
is the good old hockey game.
- Stompin' Tom Connor

3 Comments:

  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    thanks :) lol i wasn't expecting any comments on this post actually - since most people think the same way you do about it

    now i have 4 comments ;P

     
  • At 5:49 AM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    how about 5? lol

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    hmm i could get really greedy here and go for 6... lol

    hmm that would be a fun post - just getting ppl to post comments... would never work though since a lot of people who read blogs don't comment on them. ah well

     

Post a Comment

<< Home