Tuesday, April 11, 2006

to tan or not to tan... rambling thoughts from a tired teacher

I'm a big fraidy-cat.

I have done things in my life that can be considered brave, but when it comes to my appearance or anything on my body - I'm a total chicken.

For example - when I got my ears pierced for the first time, I was in grade 8 and my best friend Julie had gone with me - we got them together, providing moral support and celebrating our jump into "adulthood" with ice cream and chinese food (yes, in that order). Unfortunately, my ears got infected, which freaked and grossed me out, leading to me letting the holes close naturally.

I got them pierced again when I was 16. I now have two holes in each ear and one of those earrings in the cartilage in the top of my ear. The last piercing took three months of prompting from a friend, who convinced me "it won't hurt".

It hurt. ALOT. My ear actually turned purple and I was unable to sleep on the left side of my head for about 3 months...

anyway - this isn't about my earrings. It's about my skin. I love the way I look when I'm tanned, and once tried to kickstart the nice brown colour I turn in the summer by using a self-tanning lotion. Now this was more than 10 years ago, so maybe the technology just hadn't been there, but my skin turned this wierd orange colour.

That pretty much soured me from any type of tanning products, including salons, or whatever. Some people look great - but there are a lot of people out there who just look fake.

The point of this is that I decided to try and be brave again. I bought Jergen's Natural Glow moisturizing cream, which slowly darkens your skin as it moisturizes. The commercials looked good, and my friend convinced me to try it.

This is where the chicken part comes in.

I am kinda worried about turning orange again... see I don't honestly think it'll be as bad as the product from all of those years ago, but I'm very worried that this stuff will turn my skin a funny colour.

I apologize if this post sounds vain or stupid, but I honestly am not sure if I should try this stuff, or just wait till the sun turns me brown instead. If anybody has tried this product or something like it - i'd love some opinions or advice. Otherwise, the odds are that the lotion will probably end up staying in the bottle while I am forced to hang out in the sun every day.

suddenly I can't remember why I bought this stuff in the first place...

3 Comments:

  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Grr I made a long posting but the stupid site crashed or something! Anywho, I was suggesting that you try it on both, or only 1 leg so that you can compare the two after a while, that way you save yourself the embarrasment if it does get orangey. I unfortunately get orange because I am white as a ghost, and tanning just burns me, so I am going to try that spray tan at the salon and if it's nice (i'll have to get before/after shots) I am going to get it done for my brothers wedding cause I really don't wanna be all red/peely for a wedding - EW! Good Luck! :)

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    I'm totally a tanning bed girl so my help is probably useless.

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Well, I have used the skin stuff and if you pick a good one, I find it works pretty good. And plus, it only lasts a little while anyway, so even if you don't like it, it will fade away after a few days, so just try it out before any special occasions! Be forewarned though, the stuff usually reeks pretty bad the first day you have it on.

    Like Lyndsay, I wouldn't mind trying the salon sprays sometimes. I'm too afraid of tanning beds for some reason though, but I'm sure they give the best end result.

    Good luck to you my friend! ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home