Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Time is going by way too quickly

Today I got two different emails from the company I had interviewed with to work in the UK. Interestingly, both had the same kind of tone: come and work for us and you'll have a wonderful working experience and great housing, and in general a great time.
Unfortunately, I really don't think England is going to be the answer to my occupational problems. yes, it would be amazing and fun and I'd love to be in Europe for awhile - just to explore a little bit of the world.
The thing is - despite this great opportunity, I need a permanent job. The teaching profession goes through waves of need for employers - sometimes there is a teacher shortage and anybody can get a job anywhere, and sometimes there are so few positions that people like my cousin have to move back in with their parents until they are able to find work. um love my folks, but NO THANKS.
Three years ago, there was a crisis in Ontario. Every school board had a mass of teachers retiring and needed to fill these positions immediately, so they have spent 3 years hiring like crazy. This trend is continuing in Toronto, but everywhere else is definitely getting filled up.

So this brings me to a crossroads.

Do I take the amazing adventure and leave the country for a year or two and teach in the UK?

Or do I focus on the future and be smart and take any job I can get in Ontario?

Only time will tell I guess.

And time... well it's going by much too fast.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Wow, that was very sweet, and I agree with what Ledawit said.

    You must take everyone else out of your head while you think about what YOU should do with YOUR life! My best friend is gone to Australia for an entire year, which honestly feels like an eternity, but you only have one life and one chance to do all the things you ever wanted so don't hold back. There will always be 'something' to hold you back but at least in this case you know that your family and friends will all support you in whatever it is you choose to do.

    You don't have to go if you don't want to obviously, but if you think it would be a good experience and that you would benefit from it, then don't ignore all that because you're scared. (If it were me, I would be terrified cause I'm a suck like that, but sometimes that's the very reason people ought to do the things that scare them... so they can grow)

    Anywho, I hope you figure out what you truely want to do for yourself and know that whatever it is, everyone will be happy for you in the end!

    Lyndsay

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Wow. That's a tough one. I have one friend from university that had the same decision to make. Let's just say she now has a very thick accent and a very british boyfriend.
    I think you should do whatever you want too. Are you concerned with getting life experience or seniority? You could always accept the job in the UK while you look for something here... then if you don't find anything here you have an adventure to look forward to, if you do find a job here then that would probably make your decision easier and/or more difficult. (You know, one of the two...) Neither is a bad choice. But if you go to Europe I'm totally coming to visit.

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    lol no worries there - i most definitely will NOT be returning to stream!!

    Thanks for all of the feedback on this one - I really really appreciate it.

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger E Colquhoun said…

    As someone who is teaching in Toronto, I don't know who told you that the board is in a hiring situation?

    But I can tell you that the enrollment is going down in TDSB, the surrounding board are increasing. Our school this year has managed to not declare anyone surplus but there is still bumping.

    I have been teaching for 7 years and I am at my 5th school.

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    That's interesting... our faculty at the university held a career day, where the Toronto boards - greater toronto, Peel, and Halton - all told us that they were hiring "hundreds of teachers" and they were building "dozens" of new schools.
    Sounded like propoganda at the time, but since I'm not from the area - I didn't know for sure.

    Either way - toronto is nice, but not anywhere near my first choice of a place to live. Beggars can't be choosers though, so who knows where i'll end up...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home