Sunday, April 09, 2006

Old shoes, new shoes and a looooong shopping trip



Well today was one of those unexpectedly fun days where I spent 6 hours "shopping" with my friend Krista. The plan was to go to Walmart, then try to find the elusive Real Canadian Superstore that apparently hides somewhere in southwest windsor near the 401.

We went to get ink for her printer, page protectors, a few groceries, pictures printed, and "wander around for a bit".

Now those of you who know me know that when I "wander" around Walmart, there is a direct correlation between the number of minutes spent in the store and the amount of money I will spend. I always find something I forgot I needed (or can justify needing at that moment). Anyway, after 3 HOURS at Walmart, we realized we forgot to bring the pictures to get them developed, and decided today just wasn't the day. I actually left the store with less than $100 worth of stuff, including a pair of $40 shoes that I truly did need, since my current teaching shoes aren't doing so good. I'm including a picture since otherwise nobody will believe me.

The Old Shoes



The New Shoes - and my cat who has decided they look like a good place to nap


Anyway - we finally left Walmart and arrived at the Superstore. We were both pretty excited. Me, because I haven't gotten to really shop at one since I lived in London, and Krista because she'd never been to one. Needless to say she is now addicted as well.

I was suprised to find out that the inside of the store was completely identical to the one in London (Jeremy told me later that most of them are the same), so I happily led her around the store, since I already knew where everything was. About 15 minutes into our trip, I suddenly was struck with the urge to shed a few tears. Here I was in a place so familiar to me, in the middle of a city i don't like!!! It was kind of a twilight zone experience for me - I kept expecting to see Ledawit or Melissa come around the corner with another item that we would get excited about (i.e. spinach dip or pumpernickel bread or some cool summery item from the home section) and just have to buy.

This sentimental moment was interrupted by Krista shouting out - OMG this place is freakin awesome! Cucumbers for 1$!!!

She sounded so much like we (me, Ledawit or Melissa) did that I stared at her for a minute then burst out laughing. I was about to say something to her, but she'd discovered the pepper aisle and was happily grabbing green peppers and talking about how she never sees them this cheap.

I think the point of this rambling blog is that I learned something today. No matter where I live after Windsor, I will find some place that will be familar to me, and meet people who remind me of old friends.

So as I sit here looking at the bags from Walmart and trying to remember what the hell I bought today, I can't help but smile. Tonight my friends aren't so far away after all.


ps. Ledawit & Melissa - She spent MORE than I did!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Aww, that was a cute posting. I am glad you had a nice day and I really thought the picture of your cat sleeing in your shoes was hilarious! Friggin' cats eh! hehe I have never been to the store you're talking about, nor have I ever heard about it? what the heck is it?

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    The Real Canadian Superstore is the greatest grocery store ever! I don't think there is one in Sudbury though :(

    It's got a huuuuge fresh fruit section, good prices, a home section with lots of fun things to buy for your kitchen, bathroom, etc., and then a section for clothes - mostly children's but apparently the one in London is getting adult clothes too.

    wow - i sound like a commercial huh

    the next time you & Dan visit London - you'll have to ask Kim and Steve to take you there :) I guarantee you'll walk out with stuff!!

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    That sounds like a good idea! And about the walmart issue... I have the same problem.

    My name is Lyndsay Beech and I am addicted to Walmart.

    You are NOT alone... *sniff* :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home