Tuesday, April 25, 2006

just when i thought i'd made a decision - a new offer on the table

Hi Melinda!

It was so lovely to speak to you!

Just a little email to let you know my email address- please don't hesitate to contact me for anything! I will always do my best to help you!

Have a good think on the Guaranteed work programme - its really super to be on it! Let me know as soon as you decide with all.

Have yourself a fantastic afternoon.

Chat soon!

Emma-Kate

So today the people from England called and offered me a job where I am guaranteed to work everyday (and if not I get paid as though I was working everyday) for a salary of 45000 British pounds a year. Confused about what that meant in Canadian dollars, I went to this currency converter website and recieved the shock of the month: approximately $91,000 dollars!!! Apparently they do not offer this to everybody - just a small group of employees are hired with this work agreement, and the rest work as supply teachers who get paid for the days worked, instead of a regular salary.

Okay, so I know it's not all abut the money or anything, but this much money for one year of teaching overseas is very hard to pass up. Plus the adventure of living in Europe for a couple of years (2 years is the maximum contract) and getting teaching experience. Add this to the fact that I'd have all of my debt from school paid off in 2 years and this offer has suddenly become very enticing.

This changes everything.

I'm going to have a drink and think about this. More later...

5 Comments:

  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    In all honesty, I know you'd miss everyone - but you can always come back but you can't always assume that offer will be there. I think it would be a great, great opportunity for you and hey.. bring jeremy along, it sounds like you'll be able to raise an entire family over there! hehe Best of luck on the decision making, but I think it would be in your best interest to take this opportunity for it is once in a life time this sorta thing comes up.

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Holy schmidt!!!! That's such an amazing offer. As much as I would miss you, I think this sounds just too good to refuse. And we could always go visit you ya know? ;) Good luck with the decision and make sure you let me know ASAP when you've decided!

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    sniff.. aww you girls are the best you know. I can't go wrong with friends like you supporting me.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    I don't know if you are looking for advice but I thought I would give some just in case. (Plust I'm too far away for you to hit me). Just be careful. It's really expensive to live over there. My suggestion is to look into how much you are going to need to live. I'm under the impression that its almost at par with canadian. So if you need as an example $30 000 to live here you need 30 000 pounds to live there. But whatever you can save will be worth a lot more once you come back (stating the obvious I know). I would also check out what kind of taxes you'll have to pay and factor that in too. However, you also can't put a price on the experience (both life and teaching). Which would definitely be amazing. What does Jeremy think? Either way... you must have really wowed them in the interview. Good for you!! You deserve this. I'm sure you'll figure out something that is right for you.
    Good luck!

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Damn, Laura beat me to it. I was going to offer the same advice: research, Research, RESEARCH!!!

    I KNOW that gas right now is well over $2CAD/litre. As Laura said, comparitive to Canadian prices - except in pounds.

    Now, that said - this is an absolutely FANTASTIC offer that would be incredibly hard to turn down. If given the opportunity, I'd have to snap it up. (of course, this is from the guy that is considering packing up his kid and cats and wife and moving to Gibraltar)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home