Saturday, April 22, 2006

in bed by 11pm, up at 8am - what a way to celebrate the end of the year!

Yesterday was great - the kids cheered for me, I got to teach music as my last lesson (which is fun even when it is recorders), I brought them outside to read our novels on the field, my associate teacher loved the plant and candle I got her, and she got me a wisdom angel. The principal made a thank-you announcement to all the student teachers, and at the end of the day, Dee (my associate) announced to the class that I was now a REAL teacher.



The day ended with some kids crying (emotional little 10 years olds... so cute), hugs from them all, and some of them wanting me to sign autographs. LOL As Anthony, my teaching partner, looked on and tried not to laugh, the children crowded around me for 10 minutes to get my initials written in marker on the backs of their hands. He'll get the same treatement next week for sure.

It was nice though - being treated as somebody special from all of these kids, many of whom I have kept in for recesses or had to miss gym or redo homework because of not getting their work done or misbehaving in class.
I was not easy on these kids - but I was fair, and I really tried my best to reach them in some way, tried to make an impression on them that as long as they work hard they can do anything in life.
Not kidding myself here- 3 weeks in a classroom does not change the world.
But, I hope that something I said will stick with some of them.

Anyway, I got an A+ for my final evaluation, and Dee gave me a great reference letter, telling me to offer her name as a telephone reference if I want to. This is always great, because people hiring teachers want references from other teachers. I now have 3 letters from associate teachers, and two of them have offered to be phone references.

Now I just need some interviews. Starting Monday, I am officially job hunting.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said…

    Congratulation Mel! I wish you the best of luck in finding a job, especially ione in the area of your choice, aka: London. Take care!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home